Hot Rod Forum banner

lost spark

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  LATECH 
#1 ·
I'm new in here I have an 87chevy 305 lost spark changed coil have power in n out but no spark from coil. Now what

#2 ·
ragguy said:
I'm new in here I have an 87chevy 305 lost spark changed coil have power in n out but no spark from coil. Now what
Replace the module w/a known good one if you have one around. The other thing in the distributor that can cause a no start condition is if the pick up coil has gone bad or has a broken lead going to the module. This isn't as common as a bad module, though.

#12 ·
ragguy said:
Ok bought new cap n rotor.I have spark out of coil but nothing at plugs
If you have spark at the coil but not at the plugs either the rotor or coil wire are no good or installed wrong or the coil wire is no good. Is this a small cap HEI setup or something aftermarket.

#14 ·
ragguy said:
I have new cap rotor coil its a small cap.I tried 3 dif coil wires
Wrong rotor, is a possibility. If you still have the old one compare it. If there is spark at the coil it travels through the coil wire to the rotor and back out the end of the rotor to the plug wires. Not a lot that could go wrong that would affect all cylinders.

#16 ·
Sounds like something killing the module. The coil could be doing that. Even if you are using a new coil,things arent what they used to be.
Another thought would be the alternator may be passing alternating current killing stuff.Have you had any charging system problems lately?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.