lost title - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 08:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

lost title

Got a problem i bought a 65 chevy a couple years ago that did have a title but needed to be restored.Now that i just finished restoring i can't find the title and it is not registered in my name.Does anyone know how i can get a title.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

You do NOT list the state you are in so this may not work.........but it does in my state........

1) Go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (where the title papers are issued) and have them run the VIN on their records. It will tell you who the Chevy is registered to and then they (the previous owners) can write you a bill of sale.

2) you can get a Magistrate title. The Vehicle was abandoned on your property for _______ years.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 08-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:

If you know the person you bought it from you could see if they would go to the DMV and apply for a copy then you would have to have it transfered to you. You would probably have to pay for the person to get a replacement title so It'll cost ya. Hope you find it.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

I hope that your luck doesn't turn out like mine did on that 5.0 Mustang that I had.It came from California and it had OFFICIAL California DMV papers,which was an Application For Title.I took it to the local DMV and they nearly laughed me outta there.They said that they needed the EXACT California title to the car.I talked to her,the county clerk,EVERYONE..and I could never get them to run the VIN just to see if it had a clear history,(which it did).I ended up calling Nashville and talked to someone who ran the VIN and said that I shouldn't have any problems getting it changed.Just fill out the paperwork.Of course after that,I sold it.

Jacob
Old 08-12-2003, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

state

The state is missouri and i do have the persons name and a hand wrote bill of sale with signature.I tried to get ahold of the guy but he is no longer around this area anymore.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:40 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Call your County Clerk or DMV and ask 'em about it.I don't believe that it will be that hard if you have that.Good Luck !

Jacob
Old 08-12-2003, 10:48 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/pricing.htm

check this web site out, I have used them a few times w/o any problems..joe
Old 08-12-2003, 11:39 PM

If you have a bill of sale, you should be able to get a duplicate title or you may be able to get a BONDED TITLE.
The MVD will confirm that the vehicle hasn't been reported stolen and you pay a fee for the special title. Check with your MVD investigations section for information on this procedure. Some states have the State Police perform the function. If you have the owners name, the MVD will have a manner in which to locate the registered owner and determine the statis of the vehicle.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

dmv

I called the dmv back today and told her i could not find the guy.She said that their is another way and that way is threw a judge.She said that their will be a police check to find out if the car is stolen first.Has anyone ever heard of this way before?
Old 08-13-2003, 06:44 PM

States vary in their procedures on how to handle such a matter. Maybe the MVD person is suggesting that you file a civil lawsuit? I'm not sure. Or maybe, this is an administrative procedure that is required by statute in your state. Either way, if it accomplishes what you want, check into it and get it clarified.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:13 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

It is an administrative procedure, it happens in Kansas all the time on early GM cars as the VIN was the engine number up until the early 1950's, but you have to hire an attorney to do it and it can cost 500.00 or more. A real Pain In The A**. I would suggest trying to find the guy by doing a people search on yahoo, if you can just get an application for a lost title and have him sign it and get it nortorized to verify his signiture and a limited power of attorney that allows you to apply for the lost title for him, then he would then have to sign the title again. The best option is to find the title if at all possible.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:46 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

if you cant get one w/o a lot of hassle, like I said I have used these guys a few times

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/pricing.htm
Vehicle Description Pre-1975
Autos:
(Domestic exc. Corvette) $139.00 <~~~~this is what it would cost you .....joe
Old 08-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

I agree with Joe. They are very user friendly. We got one through a car in the shop. Bill was $165 and you are legal.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:29 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Car but no Title

I bought a 65 Chevelle from a guy, his parts car. He assured me he would get the title, seems a bank had it as collateral on a big loan. One year later and still no title, so the guy I bought the Chevelle from threatens to get a lawyer and the title magically appears!! Not your case but made me wonder if I would be looking for a title elsewhere?? I never touched the car, parked it in storage and waited to get my paper. What kind of Chevelle did you get a Malibu, SS or 300 series?? Mine is a 300 2dr post sedan, painless wiring, stock gages, Mitsubishi front seats and custom rear seat, tubed and back halved,4 link suspension, Ford 9" rear end, full cage, lightened front fenders and trunk lid, 31X18X15" rear wheels and tires and skinny front wheels and tires. The guy I got the car from wanted the drive train, 427bbc and turbo 400 trans.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:22 AM

Help

i have almost the same problem. I traded a computer for an old truck and never got the title, because "it was lost". Now that I have done all the work to the truck he found the title (suprise) and wants it back

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.