A lot of the old iron is dissappearing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

A lot of the old iron is dissappearing

I was disking a field yesterday when my tractor started ot overheat. I was over a half mile from the house so I decided to shut it down and let it cool off for a while. I talked to my Mom on the cell phone for a while and when the call was over I was just sitting there getting bored I began to think about an old 38 Chevy front clip that had been sitting in a ditch in the neighbor's field for years not far from where I was at. I decided to go check it out and if it was any good I would ask the neighbor about it. Well I could not find it so it is gone or sunk down into the mud and disappeared. I got to thinking about all the stuff that used to be sitting around these parts and a lot of it is gone. That is OK if someone used it for a project but it is a shame if it has all been melted down for scrap.

Well, I should go out and work on my tractor but it is supposed to rain today and I have been procrastinating this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You know I had the same thought year ago. I have a uncle that had a big autobody shop in the next town and wrecking yard. When he got ready to retire he was trying to sell the wrecking yard. he had a ton of classic stuff. And I told him don't crush it it worth a lot of money Let me run it for ya. But he just wanted his money So he had everything crushed that was old heartbreak for sure. He finally sold it. but man I would be rolling in money with what he had. There a guy out here in Arizona that has a yard about 30 mile out of town and that all he does is collect old cars and turn around and sell them to the hotrod and resto guy here. He just goes around to the farming area and buy up all the old car and cashes in.

Craig
Old 04-24-2006, 02:23 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

The guy next door at work told me about an old model T that was sunk half down in the ground not too far from here. I've been buggin him to show me where it's at ever since. Half of a T is better than no T, right?
Old 04-24-2006, 03:28 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

theres a place i pass every daY, several old cars sitting under a bunch of pines... 65 rustang, late 40's
chevy sedan, an effie, a corvair ....
i asked once, the guy said he wanted a thousand for any of them.... they were already without windows, full of pine needles, exterior rust all over down low.... hell, i can't spend a thousand on something decent muchless a rusted out hulk.... I hate to see it.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

I just remember a guy my dad work with use to collect Corvairs He had a home in the High Desert in Calif with a very big pole barn.And when he retired he was going to fix them up and sell one or to a year. must of had a couple hundred collected. But sad to say I don't think he every work on them and last I hear the guy had Cancer. so they will problem set there and never get done.

Craig
Old 04-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Hood installed
Last photo:

A lot of the old outside iron is disappearing but there there must be old iron stored away in barns / sheds if I use the example of what I know is around here hidden away.

Neighboring farm has a '53 Ford 2 door ht they bought nearly new (flathead still runs well and the body is good) and a '48 Chevy 1/2 ton they've owned since '48. Our place has a '49 Chevy 3/4 ton bought new, '60 FC Jeep, '48 Suburban, and more. All stored inside.

Neighboring places have similar stuff.

The hard part is finding it when you are looking for it.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:26 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced design
The hard part is finding it when you are looking for it.

that's the trick.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:06 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

From my experience its a rare breed that is into this old stuff most yards are into late model & the rest is scrap.

I worked for a guy {2 months} who took over a" old yard" & turned it into a "new yard" the old man Haskins was a innovator way ahead of his time in packaging rotors & drums in cardboard & shrink wrap{in the late 70' & 80's

well the new guy had his crew cut all that "crap out of the plastic & throw it right into a dumpster tons of parts!

a whole floor in a Ware house of rechromed bumpers out of the plastic & into the dumpsters .

gee wonder why I couldn't stay there long.

& then there are guys who pick up every classic & hold onto every part like its gold.

screwy ain't it?

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 04-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Keller
& then there are guys who pick up every classic & hold onto every part like its gold.

screwy ain't it?

R
Hoarders, Ya gotta wonder what they are thinking.

Let all the good old ones sit in a feild and never do anything with them. They (owners) get old, pass away, the gov gets everything and crushes it.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I took all these pictures, and there's more!

74 Buick GS, 70s TransAm, 69-71 Nova SS, others.... many, many others.

FYI the gold pontiac got crushed...

the others are still sitting around rotting...

-matthew
p.s. this is what I do in my spare time... take pics of rotting cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000340.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	11807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001461.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	11808   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001855.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	11809   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0178b.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	11810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001632.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	11811  

Old 04-25-2006, 08:21 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I was at a local yard on Saturday. Didn't need anything, but wanted to check out some old trucks I new they had way in back. This is the kind of lot that you couldn't get anything out unless you had a heilcopter to crane it out, theres only one pathway though the whole place. I went in an area I never went to before and found al kinds of 60's GM stuff like Camaros and Firebirds, Novas, Chevelles, etc. Most everything was picked clean of course, but I wondered if they have any value even for just the dataplates. Some were in real rough shape and most of the front clips were gone already. The sad part is years ago when those cars were dropped off, the aftermaket parts weren't available like they are now. They would have been easy to fix today. Had some 20's & 30's trucks that were neat and I saw some model A car frames on the flatbeds. They even had a couple of model A trucks. But they were literaly ghosts and were held together with rust. Don't know what you could even do with them except maybe use as a buck to build one out of fiberglass or something. Too bad, but you know it's a matter of time before they go to the crusher too. They already cleared one area out.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.