lots of aluminum corrosion in stock HEI distributor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 03:46 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

lots of aluminum corrosion in stock HEI distributor

well i have been messing around with the 305 in the 82 trans am i have been keeping parked around here since 2000 and messing with

been having real issues with it starting up and running correctly

when i first put the engine in around 2005 or so it was running great

but over time it got worse i noticed

i kept assuming it was the carb so i would swap another one on it

but then eventually it would run bad again, sooner than later

i was messing around with it again today so i could move it to another spot and i noticed that the idle was staying and sticking for no reason at around 2000 rpm or so even when backing off the carb curb and fast choke idle screws and checking the choke linkage

no vacuum leaks

couldnt figure it out until i went to move the distrib by pushing on the vac advance canister and as soon as i touched the canister the idle dropped out and it stumbled and died

so i then deduced that the problem must be with the distributor, evne though i didnt want to believe such, because its a rare thing to be the cause of bad running engines, usually.,

so i set it to #1 tower real quick, and yanked it out

and wow i immediatley noticed that it was like "full" of aluminum powder corrosion junk really bad

i have had tons of stock hei dizzies over the years and never seen this before.

what could cause this ?

like super fine gunpowder or something like gray in color

is this really corrosion, or is it something else?

i read another hei problme thread just now and it was talking about water getting on it and maybe getitng in the cap somehow(i dont understand how its possible)
but thi sis very likely because my trans am has the factory power bulge hood that is open above the back center of the engine

wide open to the engine

and it has been yet another record rainfall year here and this car is always uncovered out in the open.

gonna put a remanufactured distributor i have laying around, from another engine, in it here in a bit and then see how it runs,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
well i have been messing around with the 305 in the 82 trans am i have been keeping parked around here since 2000 and messing with

been having real issues with it starting up and running correctly

when i first put the engine in around 2005 or so it was running great

but over time it got worse i noticed

i kept assuming it was the carb so i would swap another one on it

but then eventually it would run bad again, sooner than later

i was messing around with it again today so i could move it to another spot and i noticed that the idle was staying and sticking for no reason at around 2000 rpm or so even when backing off the carb curb and fast choke idle screws and checking the choke linkage

no vacuum leaks

couldnt figure it out until i went to move the distrib by pushing on the vac advance canister and as soon as i touched the canister the idle dropped out and it stumbled and died

so i then deduced that the problem must be with the distributor, evne though i didnt want to believe such, because its a rare thing to be the cause of bad running engines, usually.,

so i set it to #1 tower real quick, and yanked it out

and wow i immediatley noticed that it was like "full" of aluminum powder corrosion junk really bad

i have had tons of stock hei dizzies over the years and never seen this before.

what could cause this ?

like super fine gunpowder or something like gray in color

is this really corrosion, or is it something else?

i read another hei problme thread just now and it was talking about water getting on it and maybe getitng in the cap somehow(i dont understand how its possible)
but thi sis very likely because my trans am has the factory power bulge hood that is open above the back center of the engine

wide open to the engine

and it has been yet another record rainfall year here and this car is always uncovered out in the open.

gonna put a remanufactured distributor i have laying around, from another engine, in it here in a bit and then see how it runs,
Sounds like moisture gets into it, given where you live has a lot cool to cold and damp weather and salt on the roads, this doesn't surprise me a lot. But some distributors seem to suffer more than others.

I'd look for water getting down the hood scoop and/or around the firewall to hood seal. Check to see the rubber flaps that close off the inner fender over the back of the A-frames are still in place. Check the radiator overflow tank for leakage that is spilling coolant into the engine compartment, stuff like that.

But frankly, you're seeing mostly why unless I lived in the desert southwest, I wouldn't have a hood scoop. There just isn't anyway to keep those things from leaking onto the top of the engine.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.