Hot Rod Forum banner

lots of info on flats/satins needed

965 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cutthroatkid 
#1 ·
okay so I have a lot of questions about flats,satin5.,flattening agents etc.First off. I shot some SPI black epoxy primary today, I had told my buddy I ordered a gallon and he said well here I have some leftover try it out.I love it& like to have a bit of a sheen to ot I guess you could call it unlike the old school lacquer I've been using from the local jobber.So here's where the questions begin the flat I shoot. seems to me real well like base or primer.Now will a single stage satin/flat or hot rod flatz ® lay nice and flat like the old school lacquer I'm using?Also will a sad and clear or clear with the flat in Asian lady any different than a normal clear? Also I'm wanting to make a custom satin grey can I do this with the SPI epoxy primer with a white or would or would I be better off using paint ?
Hares a pic of the color I'm going for

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Something else to consider when spraying matte or low gloss. The sheen is affected by humidity and flash times, among other things. It's difficult to get the same sheen if you spray at different times (which invariably means different conditions). Hot Rod Flatz is a 2 stage and lays nice but only comes in certain colors. You might want to mix the SPI as suggested and use a low gloss clear for durability...

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.