LOUD, devastating intermettant POP that makes me shed a tear every time I hear it. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

LOUD, devastating intermettant POP that makes me shed a tear every time I hear it.

Just changed valve covers and gaskets due to a leak, this engine has less than 50 miles on it and it was running like a champ prior. Immediately upon starting it back up I was getting what sounded like a loose rocker on the pass. side, popped the cover back off and one was extremely lose so I gave it about 2 full turns and it felt better, started her back up and starting getting this LOUD pop sound, can't really pinpoint it but its very intermittent and when I gave it a little gas it got louder. timing is good running 93 oct on a lunati hyd. flat tappet with holley 3310. Any ideas???? PLUS still have the loose valve sound.

heres the vid:
popopopo - YouTube

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

over tightened.?

did you check valve lash You might be holding a valve open, not completly closing. or is the cam going Flat?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Does the clack occur with the valve covers on? As it sounds like a rocker making contact with the valve cover. As for adjusting valves, if the rocker is loose you can't just tighten it until it feels better. I would start it, listen for the clack, if it don't occur look for contact marks on the valve covers. With it running go to the rocker arm you tightened, back off it slowly until the rocker starts to click, then slowly tighten until it stops, when it stops give it a quarter turn and it's set.
Also while the valve covers are off inspect the valve train for broken rockers, broken valve spring and pushrod damage.
If it's a broken valve spring they can be hard to spot so look closely.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Old & Furious

Yikes! Is that the valve hitting the piston.

Take valve covers off and back the rocker arm off again. And see what it sounds like. Check compression of the cyl. You adjusted and the one next to it. See if they are close to each other. If they are, re-adjust using the manufacture adjustment proceedure

Dont sound good at all.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think the whole valve train sounds loose! I think the one rocker came loose because they're all loose. I'd put it to TDC and start adjusting valves. Some guys will tell you do it with the motor running, I've not had problems while doing it with the motor off. Loosen up the first two rockers at TDC on bore 1. Start tightening down while spinning the pushrod. When you can't turn it easily anymore, go 1/4-1/2 turn more and lock it. You'll have to adjust several rockers at a time, turn the motor, adjust some more etc. Google it, there's a procedure which will involve you turning the motor over twice. In any even thats a really good place to start. Like I said, other than the pop you're talking about I hear a lot of rattling going on in the top half of that motor.

K
Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSS View Post
Just changed valve covers and gaskets due to a leak, this engine has less than 50 miles on it and it was running like a champ prior. Immediately upon starting it back up I was getting what sounded like a loose rocker on the pass. side, popped the cover back off and one was extremely lose so I gave it about 2 full turns and it felt better, started her back up and starting getting this LOUD pop sound, can't really pinpoint it but its very intermittent and when I gave it a little gas it got louder. timing is good running 93 oct on a lunati hyd. flat tappet with holley 3310. Any ideas???? PLUS still have the loose valve sound.

heres the vid:
popopopo - YouTube
Start w/adjusting the valves. There is excessive noise and you need to adjust the valves to eliminate that as a possible cause, anyway.

There's a chance the cam is going flat. Even if the proper cam break in procedures were used, some cams will fail, regardless.

As mentioned, check for broken valve springs.

If any lifters have collapsed, adjusting them past zero lash will hold the valve off its seat.

If you have pressed studs, be sure none are pulling out of the head. They will stand higher than the studs around them so are easy to spot, relatively speaking.

Long shot dept.:
Be sure the header isn't leaking. You'd be surprised at how much that can sound like a valve. But because there's a miss associated w/the pop, I seriously doubt a leaky header is the prob.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

an exhaust leak will pop back when you lift off the gas..
Old 10-19-2012, 02:17 PM

First off, THANK you for all the replies. I inspected the valve train and inside of the covers, everything looked kosher, no signs of interference or damaged parts. I did though the valve adjustment steps and sure enough #8 ex. was BEYOND loose and #5 intake was too tight. Fired it up with ease idled great no sounds of impending doom, but I still have that loose rocker sound primarily on the pass side... since everything is tightened up could this be a lifter? I looked for any obvious signs of exhaust leak I have great oil pressure the only thing I noticed with the covers off was it seemed (may be overreacting) that the driver head was getting more oil return than pass. Anyways you guys rock im off to work a swing shift so no more wrench until tmw heres the vid.

-Rob

lifter - YouTube
Old 10-19-2012, 04:06 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
First off, THANK you for all the replies. I inspected the valve train and inside of the covers, everything looked kosher, no signs of interference or damaged parts. I did though the valve adjustment steps and sure enough #8 ex. was BEYOND loose and #5 intake was too tight. Fired it up with ease idled great no sounds of impending doom, but I still have that loose rocker sound primarily on the pass side... since everything is tightened up could this be a lifter? I looked for any obvious signs of exhaust leak I have great oil pressure the only thing I noticed with the covers off was it seemed (may be overreacting) that the driver head was getting more oil return than pass. Anyways you guys rock im off to work a swing shift so no more wrench until tmw heres the vid.

-Rob

lifter - YouTube
The Voodoo series have been known to have more valve train noise than usual due to the fast valve closing. Not mentioned as often as the Comp XE series, but there have been reports.

If your stamped steel rocker arms were previously used, then not replaced onto the same rocker stud and valve as they came from, this can cause more noise.

Concerning the difference in flow seen at the top of the pushrods, one possibility is a loose distributor body. The distributor has a groove that passes through the passenger side lifter galley. If the distributor body isn't a tight fit, there can be a loss of pressure and flow at the groove.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
SJSS (10-20-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 04:10 PM

Engine noise intermediate POP

Hi SJSS glad u fixed the POP noise. (backfire through the carb).. but u still have to readjust the rockers. Let eng warm up then remove cover and loosen and tighten 1/2 turn . Also helps to use a vacuum gauge HIGHEST READING when adjusting Good Luck Jim
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Old & Furious

Dude where is the oil in that video. You should see oil all over the head. Am I just missing it? The one with the valve covers off. Oil should be flying all over the place.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Alright coffee and it being the weekend was on my side this morning, so rocker arms are quiet with about 2 full warm up cool down tightening sessions, and the extra caked on rtv was holding the distributor just enough out of the intake starving the pass side of the engine... all is well! How much life did I take off the engine by starving the right side of oil for about 5 min of diagnostic run time?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:37 PM

and @ compton oil is now flying like it outta be haha
Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Alright coffee and it being the weekend was on my side this morning, so rocker arms are quiet with about 2 full warm up cool down tightening sessions, and the extra caked on rtv was holding the distributor just enough out of the intake starving the pass side of the engine... all is well! How much life did I take off the engine by starving the right side of oil for about 5 min of diagnostic run time?
I doubt that side was totally starved for oil. As long as there was some oil reaching it and the engine wasn't run hard or for an extended period, the chances are very good nothing was hurt in the process.

Anyway, glad you found the issues, prolly makes you glad as well!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
and @ compton oil is now flying like it outta be haha
Glad to hear it. Hopefully it didnt hurt anything. Sure you had assebly lube over everything anyway. It should be fine. Good video i was thinking wow he got nice clean heads. Let us know how it turns out.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.