Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Loud knocking when truck starts
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Loud knocking when truck starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman87 View Post
Won't that damage the engine to have the valve cover off while its running? Also, I checked the dipstick, I've been running the truck since December so it's not time for an oil change yet, but I noticed that the oil on the dipstick is normal color except for at the bottom of the dipstick there is some type of soot mixed in with the oil. I'm thinking maybe burnt oil but not too sure. The oil still has a thick consistency as well. Also, last month, I adjusted the valves because I noticed that some of the pushrods were really loose, but I did it with the motor off and I just manually turned the motor over.
No, it will not cause any damage but will cause a mess that will have to be cleaned up. A good way to avoid making a mess is to get a old set of valve covers from a junk yard. Then you can cut the top out of the valve covers and use them when adjusting valves. That soot you see, are you sure it is not metal powder from the cam and lifters. This would be the reason why they are loose all the time. Here is an article on premature camshaft wear and the reasons why. How to Keep Your Flat Tappet Engine from Getting Worn Down - Corvette Fever Magazine