That lousy Holley carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2003, 05:31 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Wiki Edits: 0

That lousy Holley carb

Hey guys. Well, I got that Holley 750 back from Holley. The one that was leaking like a sieve on my engine (see previous post "Holley has me at wits end"). Would you believe that Holley had it on their flow bench for one and a half hours at 7 P.S.I. and the piece of junk supposedly didn't leak one dang bit! I am junking it. I just can't trust it.

Here is my question to you: What carb do I go with now? My options are a 650 vac secondary Holley that will need a rebuild, a brand new 650 vac. secondary Speed Demon, a Sean Murphy tweaked Q-jet, or have Murphy go thru the current 750 Holley.

My set-up is a street driven 69 Camaro with the following:

pocket ported 041 heads
9.5:1 compression ratio
Extreme Energy 262 cam (218, 224 duration at .050. .462 & .469 lift)
Performer intake
MSD HEI
1 5/8 headers
3.42 gears with a Turbo 400 with stock stall.

Thanks in advance for your comments. This site is truly grea!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2003, 05:49 PM

go with the demon , when i took my Holley off and put the Demon on i had nothing but frustration for about a week or so , but once it was dialed in WOW what a difference much better throttle response. the Demon's are very sensitive and need a bit of tweaking to get them set up properly, but once it's there you'll be blown....
by the way same problem with my Holley is what pushed to get the Demon
Old 08-05-2003, 07:05 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I live up in Lapeer about 1 hour away. I would be glad to help you go thru the carb on a weekend. It will take a few hours to do. I have most of the parts new, if I fix it you pay for the parts only. Just send me a email. IM home this weekend, I have 2 other 650 Holly DP complete carbs to rebuild, if we cant fix yours we will build one together, price of parts. It's bull that NO one can fix it. Please let me know. I live 1/4 mile from the Lapeer dragstrip.
George
Old 08-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

That`s one hell of a Offer 1BAD80 is giving you, by all means take it! I wished I had someone offer to do something like that for me when I was new to carbs. Goes to show, there is still great people out there willing to help.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:15 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

that lousy Holley

Wow, 1Bad, that is one hell of a generous offer. It is Tuesday nite and I expect to test that carb tomorrow. If it still leaks I will definitely take you up on that. Your profile states that you prefer not to recieve e-mails from this board. How can I get in touch with you? Heck, I'll drive to your place with the carb if you want!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Why waste your time on a holley, I love the Q-jets. Alot of people bash them cause they tend to dump fuel when the secondaries open up and bog down the engine for a sec. But if you know what you are doing you can get a much better "push you back into your seat" feel with Q-jets than you can with a holley. Plus that sound the Q-jet makes when the secondaires open up all the way is so nice.

BTW I blew up the air-cleaner and hood on my friends mustang a month or so back because there was no way to properly adjust the POS 2bbl "holley" carb on it. Holley expected you to individualy adjust each barrel until the idle was right. I thought is was right cause it sounded good until he stepped on the gas and a nice purple-kind-of-blue flame burnt my right hand up. holley=death.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:20 AM

q-jets are similar to edelbrock carbs right? would you recomend one over a holly?
Old 08-06-2003, 06:17 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I perfer Q-jets, once there tuned in right you can`t beat them, nice crisp throttle response, and the massive secondary`s are there when max power is needed, Edelbrock makes Q-jets now, but yes they are similiar to the edelbrock AFB line, they both use metering rods to meter fuel flow. Q-jets aren`t really complicated as they look or as people would lead you to believe, there rather simple to build and once you understand how they work there easy to tune. the carb that I had the hardest part ever tune wise is the Demon I run now. you got to play with a demon alot to get it right. holley`s are plain simple build and tune wise. even so I used to tune many by ear, I use a vacuum gauge now to get it on the money.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:27 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

If you want to get on with life and have a pretty reliable carb, go with the Q-jet. Otherwise, take your Prozac first, and start setting up the Demon.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

You can`t beat that offer, go for it. As long as gasket surfacers are good, new gaskets should stop the leaks. Holly's are simple to work on, youv`e already got it, fix it. Good Luck

Troy
Old 08-06-2003, 07:42 PM

cool rockin daddy, You can send me a private email on this site.
Hit the profile icon and is says email this person. Most of us don't list out regular address's because of the kid like attitude sending junk or other stuff thinking it's funny.
I will challenge anyone that don't think a Holly is good with one of my carb's.
ANY TYPE carb is as good as the mechanic that put it together!
Old 08-07-2003, 06:59 PM

Ya a well set up q-jet is hard to beat. Alot of people don't like them but thats just because they don't understand them they are the most advanced carb avalable the down side of cource is they are harder to tune but once you get them tuned right they hold it almost indefinetly. Edelbrock makes to kinda of carbs they have the performer series which is basically just an updated carter AFB and they make the q-jet. the latter if far more expencive but it a much better carb. A cheaper alturnative is finding on at the junk yard and rebuilding it. The q-jet is a pretty much universal 4 barral.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:32 PM

Thank's you got the point I was trying to make.
ANY carburetor is good, only as long as someone tunes that carb for that engine setup. Everyone has a carb preference and there is one main factor the same on all of them.
THE CARBURETOR MUST BE TUNED IN TO THE whole car.
This applies to ALL carb's, you only hear about the bad one's, OR you wonder the one with the problem with the carburetor (any carb) did they really read all the instruction's, do every step in the instructions, not get disturbed while working on it, as to maybe forget that little part. Find it and say ya the other one is still in there and not be bad.
cool rockin daddy has a problem and as being a hotrodder and drag racer I believe in helping the other guy out when he's serious about getting it running (NOT A TROLL) . I have the time rite now and enjoy working on Holly's to take my mind off of my neck surgery.
All IM saying is everyone has a choice on a carb, it worked for them, but they ALSO had to fine tune the carb in to their application for best response, just like dialing the carb in, and once you learn the carb and the change's to make to keep it running at it's best, that's the carb you will recommend.
One thing also, I want to know what the real problem is so I can give out better info on carbs or anything else.
Thanks for the good info, from all who inputed,
George
Old 08-07-2003, 09:34 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD80
ANY TYPE carb is as good as the mechanic that put it together!
Amen to that! I've been running nothing but Holleys for over twenty years now and I've never had one bad enough that I couldn't fix easily. Aside from some minor float adjustments and tuning mine have always run consistant for years, both on my cars and my customers cars. The last two I ran myself was a 600cfm vac secondary that I put on my Mustang in '91 when the stock intake and 2 barrel carb was scrapped. That 600 carb ran like clockwork from '91 til last year when I decided to upgrade to a 670cfm Street Avenger, this included being driven regularly year round and passing emissions testing regularly when I lived in jersey. In fact we just had an old RV in the shop not too long ago with a big block Ford and a factory Holley 4 barrel carb. She came in cause she had trouble with cold starts due to a sticky choke assembly and too many hard miles. We overhauled that Holley and she worked like a champ again. I'm not dissing Edelbrocks, I'm sure they're fine also. I just prefer Holleys and they've kept me happy for a long time.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:39 PM

well its nice to see another post from dorris gracing us with his intelect again how ever he did make one point very clear and that is that they are very easy to work on hey if he can fix any problem he had anyone can haha

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.