Hot Rod Forum banner

Low Budget Compressor

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  oldred 
#1 ·
I had purchased a used 6 HP Craftsman Oil-less compressor from a widow. My brother had located it and gave me the info on the placard, said it looked like new, the deceased only bought good stuff, blah, blah, blah. I thought I could get by with it for a while so installed it in my new shop. Well, it lasted about 20 hours before it grenaded. I started looking for another one and was leaning toward a Quincey or an Ingersol Rand, both offered by the local Northern Tool store. I happened to stop at the local tire shop for a set of new tires on my Tundra and happened to notice a like new IR sitting out side the compressor shed at the tire shop and inquired about it. The main mechanic there, a friend of mine said it had quit on them and they ordered a replacement. He said they had not had it long and he thought the replacement was a warranty one. I asked if the compressor was for sale and he checked with the Boss Man who was headed for Pigeon Forge, Tenn for the week end and said if I could come up with some quick cash, it was mine. I happened to have $250 on me and he said that was good enough. I had made a quick call to the IR tech desk to inquire about the availability of a T-30 compressor overhaul kit and the cost. We hauled the compressor to the shop and proceeded to tear the compressor down. Turned out it was clean as a pin inside but the oil slinger for the high pressure rod/cylinder had broken off and was laying in the bottom of the crank case. We removed the two jugs so we could remove the pistons and rods. The cylinders had no wear and the cross hatching from the honing were still intact. The high pressure rod end that had the broken oil slinger was galled to the bearing. It could have been lightly polished and re used had not the slinger been broken off. I ordered a crank kit which included both new rods, bearing and all gaskets and seals ($223. and change). The compressor was rebuilt in 30 min after receiving the parts. I did not like the sound of the motor when I spun it and since it had been sitting out all winter, I had another friend replace the bearings with sealed units ($115) and he picked the motor up and returned it and help install it!!! The end result is the best compressor for the buck I could ever hope for.

Trees

I am trying to attach Pics, but nothing happens when I click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. Maybe later.

See less See more
#6 ·
It looks like to me from the picture that the vibration of the compressor is transmitted directly to the PVC. I think, based on what I've seen in the past, it's not a question of IF it will fail, but WHEN. (sorry oldred for borrowing your line, but I really don't want to see trees get hurt.) When it fails, it will grenade.

#10 ·
What I always used when installing a new system was regular hydraulic hose, cheap, easy to find in any size/length with standard pipe fittings (much better quality than regular pipe however) and with a pressure rating at least 10 times what the compressor could make.

#12 ·
Compressors......

HI,i just received a catalog in the mail from a company called surplus center.com. in it they have many compressor pumps,and the prices sound good.you can phone 1-800-488-3407 for a catalog. im NOT connected to this company,just thought some of you guys might like this info. :D

#13 ·
boatbob2 said:
HI,i just received a catalog in the mail from a company called surplus center.com. in it they have many compressor pumps,and the prices sound good.you can phone 1-800-488-3407 for a catalog. im NOT connected to this company,just thought some of you guys might like this info. :D

I buy from this place all the time and I really like them, in fact I have posted the link to their web site a bunch of times here. Everything for air, hydraulic, electric and just about anything else for the guy who likes to "build his own". I have found them to be very helpful and they have a tech service that can be contacted by phone or E-mail if you need help with any of their products. I have had some fairly long discussions with them concerning hydraulic motors/pumps and the tech at the other end was very knowledgeable and helpful.

www.surpluscenter.com

I think 302 recently had a problem with them being extremely slow about shipping so to be fair I thought I would mention that.

#14 ·
hydrolic motors? Old red I have a question:I'm building a bead roller with a 4' throut,I planed on using an electric motor with a clutch form an industrial sewing machine,someone said a hydrolic motor was the way to go,I've never heard of one before this and this is he second time,can you tell me about them and what do you think about putting one on my big bead roller? Thanks for the surplus centers site guys this will be very helpfull to me

#15 ·
deadbodyman said:
hydrolic motors? Old red I have a question:I'm building a bead roller with a 4' throut,I planed on using an electric motor with a clutch form an industrial sewing machine,someone said a hydrolic motor was the way to go,I've never heard of one before this and this is he second time,can you tell me about them and what do you think about putting one on my big bead roller? Thanks for the surplus centers site guys this will be very helpfull to me

I use hydraulic motors to power several things such as my portable align boring mill, etc. Drop me a PM and tell me what you have in mind for the bead roller and maybe I can help. Hydraulic motors offer very smooth and controllable RPM with full torque almost down to stall in both directions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.