low gun pressure after installing wall filters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

low gun pressure after installing wall filters

I kind of think I may already know the answer to this, but I'll shoot anyway...

In my paint booth set up, I just installed a new water/oil filter/separator and dessicator.

My set up runs from my 60 gallon compressor through a whip to a wall-mounted little water filter with regulator. I've never had any moisture fish eyes in the several years I've been using this little filter, but figured I should get something better for painting. This has a female coupler on it that my air hose is normally hooked in to.

Now I have another whip that runs from that coupler into the new filter set up, and from that to my gun. I show over 100 psi on my gun regulator, but with the trigger pulled I drop down to less than 20. With my regular set up I would have around 35-40.

My lines are 3/8" but all the fittings are 1/4".

This new filter set up had 3/8" NPT threads but I put reducers in there for 1/4" fittings. I'm thinking I know why it had 3/8" now?

So my question is will installing a regulator after the second filter series help my pressure, or do I need a larger 'opening' (eg, 3/8" fittings) for the air to move through this entire system now, hence the large pressure drop I"m getting?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 05:40 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

To much restriction as you are suspecting. I have a separate filter/regulator I use for painting only. It is plumbed with the big 3/8th inch fittings and I run a 1/2" hose out to the gun filter/regulator which THEN necks down to 3/8ths for the 5' whip running to the gun. I hook the gun filter/regulator to my belt and run the whip up, around the back of my neck. Works well and there is plenty of flow at the gun for either my siphon or gravity feeds.
Mark
Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The filters go befoe the regulator ,the regulator is always last
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
The filters go befoe the regulator ,the regulator is always last
Hence the acronym FRL. In all our cases there should be no lubricator.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:53 PM

How did you make out Lizer????
Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
How did you make out Lizer????
depends, are you talking during my college years or high school years?

I am mainly frustrated that I have to change my set up after thinking it was set. I am going to try finding some larger fittings and hoses.

My first filter is just one of those little $30 ones you get from the tractor store that has the regulator on top of it. This is what feeds into my paintbooth filters with the oil/water separator and dessicant. There is no regulator set up on the paint booth filters. I suppose I need to get one on it? I think I just need to figure out a way to plumb this filter set directly to the compressor and completely bypass the first filter.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:27 PM

all those plumbing pieces can get expensive....is there any way you can hook up that little filter/reg last coming from the compressor,that should do it for now and ou can replace it with a better one later.I just moved my compressor outside it took a week and a few hundred bucks and my first paint job looked like crap fish eyes mostly something I never got before so I took it all apart even the filters and found nothing even my toilet paper filter looked good enough to reuse in the bathroom...so I put it all back together and I was still getting fisheyes everywhere as it turned out it was my box of shop towels that was causing it ...tracking these problems down can get a little frustrating at times.
I had a similar problem with my filters.I put the reg first thinking it would filter better at 100lbs insted of 160 but what happend was i got full pressure at first then it dropped fast..putting the reg last cured the problem...
Old 06-27-2013, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
all those plumbing pieces can get expensive....is there any way you can hook up that little filter/reg last coming from the compressor,that should do it for now and ou can replace it with a better one later.I just moved my compressor outside it took a week and a few hundred bucks and my first paint job looked like crap fish eyes mostly something I never got before so I took it all apart even the filters and found nothing even my toilet paper filter looked good enough to reuse in the bathroom...so I put it all back together and I was still getting fisheyes everywhere as it turned out it was my box of shop towels that was causing it ...tracking these problems down can get a little frustrating at times.
I had a similar problem with my filters.I put the reg first thinking it would filter better at 100lbs insted of 160 but what happend was i got full pressure at first then it dropped fast..putting the reg last cured the problem...
I will take some pics of my set up tonight and post them...I think it will help you better if you see it. I wouldn't want to put the filter/regulator combo last...it's had a lot of use and gets a lot of green oily water trapped inside. With that being said, I've used it as my only filter source for the last three years spraying 2k and epoxy and have never once had a fish eye. But generally I was never spraying the entire car at any given time...just sections or a panel or two.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Ok here it is.

I think the pics are pretty self explanatory. The first pic is the filter set up in the booth.

Second pic is my normal every day use filter.

Third pic is how my set up is routed...you can see the whip goes to first filter, which is normally where my air hose comes off. however instead, a second whip then runs to the second filter.

I'm thinking just need to figure out a good and relatively economical way to plumb the second filter directly to the compressor where the valve is...I have a coupler there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2649.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	75210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2650.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	75211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2651.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	75212  
Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

//edit...nevermind. I asked a question here but found the answer.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:19 AM

Ok ,they ARE backwards,first swap the filters around putting the reg in the booth dont worry about whats in the reg filter for now.... Insted of running the duel filters directly to the compressor get some aluminum 3/8 tubing 25' or more and coil it up so it looks like something from a moonshine still...run the tubing from the tank to the duel filters,this will cool any steam or vapor into a liquid which will filter much better. then plumb in the regulator and it'll work great...
Or you can tie all three filters together and have all three in the booth. start looking around for a motor gaurd toilet paper filter its one of the best and cheapest filters you can get...you can replace the filter element with an ordinary roll of TP and its ez to tell whats getting through all the other filters by a simple inspection ..this filter traps oils water and debre like rust and acts like a dessicant filter, absorbing moisture it would go last after all other filters and before the reg...
Most of the reg filter combos have a removable bowl that you can unscrew to clean if not you can pour wax &grease remover in the inlet side and fill the filter up then run air through it blowing it out where the hose attaches this will clean it up pretty darn good....good luck with it ...
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

just to update...

1. I bypassed the little regulator/filter combo.
2. My whip going from the booth filter set up to the compressor was now too short since I bypassed the little regulator (because the whip ran into that), so I plumbed 2' of half inch pvc pressure pipe directly into the booth filter and then connected whip to this.
3. Put 3/8" auto fittings all around (definitely most important part here)
4. Installed 3/8" regulator after the filter combo so the booth has its own regulator.

Result: holy cow pants this thing is a BEAST now. I tried it with all but one of the fittings changed out and still couldn't get over 25 psi at the gun. Changed out the last fitting and it was easily blowing over 40 psi at the gun.

DBM I ended up going this route because I already had most of the things purchased.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.