Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - low HP decent cfm compressor- need advice
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecar
The HP seems low for such high SCFM, what am I missing here? Price seems really good, so that is what is making me scratch my head.

The HP numbers seem low because they lied about them for so long, 35 years ago 3 HP sounded like a lot. That is the same compressor that is sold under a bunch of different brand names from a bunch of different stores and it was for years sold with different HP numbers for the SAME motor! That same 15 AMP motor (the AMP rating is the important thing to look for not the HP because the AMPs determine the true output) has been sold with ratings as high as 7 HP although the actual power output never changed! The bottom line is by the time a law suit a couple of years ago forced them to be more truthful about the real power ratings we had been exposed to so much nonsense and outright lies about HP that when we see the real HP numbers they seem weak when in fact they are not. Don't worry about the power rating, there are thousands and thousands of those compressors out there and I guess for the price they do a decent job and they seem to hold up OK. If you have a buddy who has, or just know of, an otherwise identical but older compressor with a 6 1/2 HP motor (that's what most of them had) be assured that their 6 1/2 "PEAK" HP motor is not making even a tiny bit more power than your "3" HP and the ONLY difference is the label on the tank, yours is closer to the truth while theirs is 100% USDA certified BS! Look at the motor data plate and you will find those 6 1/2 "peak" HP motors and your 3 HP motor both pull the same 15 AMPs at 220 volts, proof that they both make the SAME power and don't let a salesman or anybody else tell you any different!