Low Mile Turbo 400 Been Sitting For 7 Years What are the chances it still works? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Which way to the swap meet??

Wiki Edits: 0

Low Mile Turbo 400 Been Sitting For 7 Years What are the chances it still works?

Found a turbo 400 for my g body project guy says it has 10k on rebuild and has been sitting for 7-8 years in his unheated shop. So what are the chances that I could bolt it in with new torque converter filter and oil that it would work? The guy that wants to sell it to me says it still full of oil and has been inside all the time. He want $175 for it. I know the guy and don't think he would BS me.
I know you don't have a crystal ball just give my your 2 cents. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 10:50 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

My T-350 sat for 6 years after rebuilding. I just filled it with ATF and started up the motor. No problems at all.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

I'm using an original 1978 TH400 in my 79 that has been sitting most of the time since 05. It was driven maybe a handfull of times before being pulled in 06 and had been sitting outside under a tarp ever since until recently. It still works just fine. It even got wet a time or two (i power washed the heck out of it) and it never did get any water in it.

I was quite surprised to be honest. And this was on and old well used TH400, let alone a low mile rebuilt one. Id say youd be fine with it.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:49 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

reserection

There's one thing you need to do for sure while it's out of the car.

Replace the front seal (for the torque converter)

More than likely, they have both gotten brittle with age and it's better to be safe than sorry as it's no fun pulling the tranny right after you install it to replace a leaking front seal.

The rear (yoke seal) can be done after the installation if needed.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 AM

After I put a TH400 in my truck, in place of the TH350 it had in it, I had to go right out and buy another TH400, I was that impressed with the first one. Now I have a spare, or one for a future project. The second one I bought was just rebuilt for the truck it was in, then the truck was wrecked. It sat under a guys deck for a while. I replaced the front and rear seals, drained the fluid out, stuck a new filter on it (it also has an aftermarket pickup that takes a Chrysler 904 filter),new pan gasket, cleaned and painted the pan, and sealed it up. There was a dime sized glob of "sludge" under the filter; other than that it looks like new inside. $150.00 for the trans! The guy told me it also has a "shift kit", and threw in the driveshaft. So, replace the front/rear seals, remove the pan and clean it out, replace the filter and pan gasket. Butch/junior stocker
Old 04-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Which way to the swap meet??

Thanks Guys!!!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.