Low oil pressure sbc 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 12:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Low oil pressure sbc 350

While driving my truck home yesterday I noticed the gauge read no oil pressure. The engine seemed to be running fine so i assumed the gauge had failed. I decided to pull over just to be safe. The gauge started reading pressure as soon as i stopped, but i noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. I was only a few miles from home so i decided to take a chance and drive home. I lost oil pressure again as i was pulling into my driveway, I parked and had no oil pressure at idle and the ticking was noticeably worse. I started it again this morning and still had no oil pressure and the same ticking. I realize that i must have at least some oil pressure or i would hear a lot worse than ticking.

The truck is a 76 model with 83,000 miles and the engine is original. The distributor was removed recently to get at some wires behind the engine, is it possible that something didn't seal right when the distributor was replaced? Does anyone have any ideas about what would be causing this? Also, I don't drive this truck often so i always check the oil before driving it. It's always topped off.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 PM

oil pressure

your oil pump is bad and screen may be stopped up
replace oil pump and clean screen it will probly be ok
Old 10-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

Did you check your oil? Look to see that the dist. is all the way back down to the int. man. with out no gap between the bottom of the dist. and the man.

If youre lucky it will be either of these hope just low on oil. Not to often happens that the pick up falls out of the oilpump but its a chance I guess. The oil sender is back by the dist on some motors so look to see the wires are on right and not loose if yours is back there to.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.