low priced spray gun/detail gun for primer/base/clear and ghost flames - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 06:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

low priced spray gun/detail gun for primer/base/clear and ghost flames

Hi all,

New to the forum and to painting in general. I'm looking for a cheap but decent quality gun that may be relatively versatile with tip selection, etc., and I also want to buy a smaller airbrush style gun to do large detail work. The reason I've started all this is because I have shaped a surfboard and I want to paint it myself. I will be painting the whole board and then adding some ghost flames and a ghost skull to the deck. The whole board will be a darker blue with the flames/skull a candy blue. Now this is where I need help.

I want a gun to be able to spray a base coat over the whole board and also to spray the candy over the flames/board. I don't need to spray clear as it will be glassed in with epoxy resin but would like a gun that can spray clear also. I'm looking for a decent gun for a low price and something that could be versatile such as it can be used to spray acrylic paint and stain/urethane as my wife wants to finish some furniture and do some other work with the gun. I would also like to be able to spray cars, motorcycles, helmets, etc. in the future including the clear but if needed could always get another gun for that later on if it's not possible for an all in one.

I have been searching on airbrushes to do the skull and figured I could do the flames with the airbrush but with the flames being larger (1-2" wide) I don't think I will be able to get the wide spray required for flames of this size from a brush. Are ghost flames usually done with a small airbrush on auto or are detail spray guns used? I will still need the airbrush for the skull but would also like to buy a detail spray gun to do the flames and also to possibly spray base/clear on helmets, motorcycle tanks and fenders, and do larger detail work.

I'm looking to buy a spray gun for ~$100 and would like to keep the detail gun as cheap as possible. I was looking at the StartingLine Series by Devilbiss but read that they weren't very good and parts couldn't be found for them. I've also been looking at the FinishLineIII from Devilbiss per other recommendations but would like a lower price if at all possible. Are there any other recommendations for a lower priced gun that will be able to spray urethane, acrylics, primer/base, clear? Any recommendations for a detail gun or will the airbrush be sufficient? I would like a decent finish otherwise I might as well buy spray paint, right? Thanks for all your help and for the forum!!!

PS...Where should I look to buy these guns, what stores typically have the lowest prices or best sales? Thanks.

Regards,
J

Advertisement

Last edited by jrmy_1; 02-17-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Hey J- you're asking a lot of one gun! I do not paint ALL the time, but do helmets, cycles, mailboxes, cars, etc. and I have over 8 guns, in addition to 5 airbrushes. Many are versatile. like the DeVilbiss (one of my favorites) but you will need the airbrush for graphics and flame tips. Some of Harbor Frieght's guns are CHEAP and reasonably adequate, but I feel you will want something better as your skill increases. If you are just experimenting, get a HF gravity feed and a spot/detail gun from them (probably under $50) Do the experimenting and if time shows you like it, invest in the Devilbiss or (more money$$$) Sata. Many places sell these guns and you have to 'shop around' for best prices. I use Paasche and Iwata airbrushes- (price $65- $165) It is all kind of a 'how good is good' scenario... and you get what you pay for. Any more questions ask or pm me. I'll be happy to explain what I use!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon J
Hey J- you're asking a lot of one gun! I do not paint ALL the time, but do helmets, cycles, mailboxes, cars, etc. and I have over 8 guns, in addition to 5 airbrushes. Many are versatile. like the DeVilbiss (one of my favorites) but you will need the airbrush for graphics and flame tips. Some of Harbor Frieght's guns are CHEAP and reasonably adequate, but I feel you will want something better as your skill increases. If you are just experimenting, get a HF gravity feed and a spot/detail gun from them (probably under $50) Do the experimenting and if time shows you like it, invest in the Devilbiss or (more money$$$) Sata. Many places sell these guns and you have to 'shop around' for best prices. I use Paasche and Iwata airbrushes- (price $65- $165) It is all kind of a 'how good is good' scenario... and you get what you pay for. Any more questions ask or pm me. I'll be happy to explain what I use!
Thanks for the help! I didn't want to get something just due to low price and if I need to spend more money I will. This is going to be a hobby so I don't need the best but I don't want to buy something that's going to spatter, clog, or just do a bad job. I'm going to be painting furniture, surfboards, maybe some other stuff as it comes along. I'm looking at either an Iwata HP-CS or the Paasche VL Kit or Millenium Kit. I've heard the Millenium was lighter and narrower. Does it spray as well as the VL? Anyhow, I've digressed. I was looking at spraygunworld.com and found a few that I would like a recommendation on:

ATD Kit - $90.00
http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...ools/index.htm

Leonardo Mast Kit - $102
http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...masterkit.html

Titan Vaper 19221- 99.95
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Titan/19221.html

Devilbiss Finishline III Kit - $208.95
http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informa...lineIIIKIT.htm

Astro Mini 4020 Kit - $169.95
http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...ter%20Kit.html

Thanks for the help. Like I said, this is a hobby and I just want something that will give decent results and not break or spray like junk right away. I won't be using it very often, at least not right away, so I really just need something to spray a surfboard and several pieces of furniture over the next few months.

-J
Old 02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Last photo:

A great general purpose gun is the Harbor Freight 43430. I painted my entire 34 Ford with it and it turned out fantastic. Look at the link at the bottom of my sig.
Vince
Old 02-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Vince,I have that same gun,It is a very good gun,I think I paid about $16.00 for it on sale.I have another one that I just use for primer.It was cheaper.It also work's great.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

hey J- the best (in my opinion)* you listed is the Devilbiss- the others have a 'fair' reputation* and I have known people who have had a few problems with the Astro and Titan, but that is just what is explained to me, not experience...if, like you say, you are starting out, give a few cheap guns a shot, get bolder and pay for more as you go... the HF gun CAN pray a lot of different materials and do well, but you'll want better! Stains are thin, auto paints heavier, primers heavier... graphics are the thinnest and most subtle. Don't think price will hold you back as for years I did work that paid well but I had crap equiptment- the better the stuff, though, the better the yeilds!! practice and get better equiptment- you'll do well with a good attitude! DJ
Old 02-18-2008, 07:12 PM

sounds like the recommendation is to go with the HF 43430 and then buy a better gun such as the Devilbiss in the future if needed. One concern I have is the high volume of air required for this gun. Other guns I was reading seemed to state they required somewhere around 7 cfm but this gun states about 12? Seems like quite a bit more. Thanks for the help all!!!

Is HF website the only place that sells these guns or are there other people that sell this gun?

Last edited by jrmy_1; 02-18-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

I go to my local store, but if none is close just order on-line. Never had a problem there when I did. HF also has a lower cfm gravity feed/ don't know the number- keep checking...Take your time and prep good, J. You'll enjoy painting and it's rewards...a good airbrush will make a world of difference so don't skimp! Filter your air and avoid problems. Take care of your health also- even airbrush will cause future breathing woes unchecked!! DJ
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Last photo:

I don't think the 43430 actually requires 12scfm. I used it at home a bunch spraying 2K primer with my Speedaire 2hp compressor and it never seemed like it was slaving.

Vince
Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

The 43430 Air consumption is 9.5 to 14.8 cfm.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon J
I go to my local store, but if none is close just order on-line. Never had a problem there when I did. HF also has a lower cfm gravity feed/ don't know the number- keep checking...Take your time and prep good, J. You'll enjoy painting and it's rewards...a good airbrush will make a world of difference so don't skimp! Filter your air and avoid problems. Take care of your health also- even airbrush will cause future breathing woes unchecked!! DJ
Thanks DJ. Maybe you can provide some insight on the airbrush. I'm looking at the Paasche Millenium kit because it is a little cheaper and a lot of people have said good things about it. I was thinking that I would buy the Paasche now and then get the Iwata HP-C plus or HP-CS in a few months. Would you recommend I just go right to the Iwata or should I get the Millenium Kit and then the Iwata when I have the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I don't think the 43430 actually requires 12scfm. I used it at home a bunch spraying 2K primer with my Speedaire 2hp compressor and it never seemed like it was slaving.

Vince
Thanks Vince, I seen this 2 gun, 3 tip HF kit for $49.99:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94572

It seems a little different than the other model recommended. I'm having a hard time deciding between that and this 3 gun kit from spraygunworld for $90. This setup says it requires a lower spray volume and has the same look to the gun and conrols as the HF 43430:
http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...ools/index.htm

Haven't been able to find a kit with the 43430. Might have to buy that and a separate detail gun from HF.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

I would get the Paasche first only because that is what I recommend to my students. They are durable, reliable and clean up easily. If you have experience with an airbrush, by all means get the BEST you can afford. ( and the best to me is the Iwata) I start my students on single action and build them up to dual action. If you have the experience get the dual right away. I don't have knowledge of Advanced Tools products so would suggest the HF for your bigger gun options.... again only because of my own experience. As stated by 302 Z28 the cfm varies and I think you will be fine if your compressor has any guts at all! Any more questions just ask, and post some pics of your progress- we all learn something new every day and it's cool to see oher's ideas. Good luck! DJ
Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 AM

I think I'm over analyzing everything......again. I'm going with a HF spray and detail gun and I'll hold the Paasche VL and Millennium before I buy it to see what feels better in my hands. Thanks for all your help and I'll definitely post some pics and updates!!!

-J
Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Man I'm still droolin' over that '34 in Deep Molten Red. What a hot color. I can't believe it came out of a Harbor Freight 43430 either...
Old 06-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

paint guns

believe it or not i bought a paint gun kit from walmart, came with a full size gun an a touch up gun an alot extras even regulators an was only 60.00 bucks used it on couple cars worked fine made by campel hausefield, so one for you to check into.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.