Hot Rod Forum banner

Low rider show in town.

3K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Charlie1957 
#1 ·
They aren't my style, but some of these cars are SOOOOOO nice and they bring back memories for me. Most of them were exactly as I saw rolling around town when I was in high school.

I got a kick out of the Cadillac with the hydraulics with a puddle of fluid under the rear end dripping out of the leaking cyl. LOLOL

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Rip VW
#2 ·
I met up with my buddy Steve there and we had lunch at a great little place that my sister got arrested in for pulling a gun on her cheating husband back in the seventies...oh the memories. :D

Brian

Attachments

#3 ·
I'm not into that, but the two door Impalas are both cool iconic lowriders. The old Monte is also cool because it shares platform with the good GPs. But the Ranchero looks like more fun than the rest of the lot combined!

#5 ·
In the nineties I worked at a local copper mine, and there were a number of low rider enthusiasts! I got to paint a couple of them! Also did some glass etching for them.

We have a few that even show up at the more traditional cruises in Tucson.

It is a different kind of custom, but I like all kinds of builds. These guys also are just as enthusiastic, and detail oriented as anyone!

Here are a few pics I have in the computer of those I did.

Attachments

#10 ·
Low rider

Funny, took my car to a local show, let the air out of the rear bags and went wondering around. Heard one guy say it was a nice car but he would never vote for a low rider. Never mind it's got an LS engine and all the street rod "stuff". Which begs the question: What is a low rider? Can a car be both low rider AND street rod?

Attachments

#11 ·
Funny, took my car to a local show, let the air out of the rear bags and went wondering around. Heard one guy say it was a nice car but he would never vote for a low rider. Never mind it's got an LS engine and all the street rod "stuff". Which begs the question: What is a low rider? Can a car be both low rider AND street rod?
You can't educate everyone. It is not a low rider but I can see the guy thinking that because of the hood orn the dripped rear and the skirts. I can see him thinking that being he knows nothing about low riders.

I have heard similar stupid stuff before, don't sweat it, you can't make everyone happy.

Brian

Reactions: toos10w
#20 ·
Yeah it was gone soon after my sister came along in 42. By the time I came along my dad would be driving new Buicks or something like this 59 Pontiac off the used car lot, they were a little bigger. :D

I'm in my mom's arms, a few months old here at Martin's Beach along the California coast.

Brian

Attachments

#26 ·
Brian, being not unlike yourself in that I don't have much fancy doo-dads... and not knowing where else to blab about a small thing that excites me....

I have always been of a mind that "car shows suck" because nothing is running and I can't tell by smell and sound who can tune. "All show, no go!" mentality. Ironic justice that I do what I do now. :rolleyes:

But I was perusing pics from the Colorado Goodguys show just now and lo and behold, theres something I worked on. That makes me do this- :D on multiple mental levels. Its a big shot of career validation for me, and visions turned reality for the owners. These "eye-of-the-beholder" and "over-the-top" builds make sense in that respect. They can be a wholesome outlet for genuine creativity and they bring like-minded people happily together. Thats good in any corner of society. Pardon the self centered interruption, man. :cool:

It was the brown and white 65 GTO ragtop I saw in the meet pics over on carnut's site. The new owners look to be calling it "Sugar Shack". I find myself foo-foo'ing car shows and pics a lot less now! :mwink:

#28 ·
Gentlemen one must remember,

"Different strokes for different folks" and
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

To the owners of those incredible pieces of art, the money someone else spends on making their own ride go faster may seem extravagant.

Low and slow and looking good.

Probably the more important aspect of this hobby is whether you can just look at it or can you ride.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#29 ·
I have said it here many times, I LOVE the over the top detailed show car. One that has tire covers on it' to roll into the indoor show so the tires don't get dirty. Ones that the frame was waxed, you know what I mean? I LOVE that stuff, mostly because anyone can do it, anyone with passion. You don't need a bunch of money, or a shop did it and I still love it, a bunch of guys with passion, it's all good.

Now if I knew that the owner of this Pontiac lowrider did that engraving, HELL YES I would feel different about it. And when I say it "ticks me off" it's not a big deal, and I am not fuming over it or anything like that. I still dig it as I love detail and show cars. If I think about it a little, that's when I get ticked. LOL

Brian

Reactions: idrivejunk
#37 ·
You funny guys :D Jocularity abounds!

I'll take function over form any day, myself. Just can't bite the hand that feeds me so... y'know...:sweat:.

Wouldn't it be nice to get to express yourself extravagantly on your own car? I know I could come up with a plan for mine pretty quick lol. :mwink:

#42 ·
I definitely agree that "It's all good". It's a lot like "Rap" music: I can appreciate the talent behind it, but it's just not to my taste. That doesn't mean they don't have a talent. From composer of the piece, to the musicians and "singer", there is talent there. IT IS ALL GOOD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.