Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Low Vacuum at idle - harsh shift
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 10:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Truck Specs

CAM: 450 lift, 224 duration, 206 lobe centre.
Heads: high output 416 heads unshrouded with large valves

As Crosley noted, needs to run off of direct manifold vacuum but you can switch to mechanical modulator.
Also, it has been this way since the engine/tranny was put in and started for the first time so it is not new.

Thanks for the info Crosley on the red/black stripe unit, I will get that one and try it. Do you have a range that it works with? (to see if I meet its criteria).

The RPM is set and stable at 800 with choke off. You do NOT want to shift with the choke on as it is a heck of a kick in the pants.
Can't speak for the tranny internals specifics as it was that way when I bought it. It does have a stage 2 shift in as per the seller and was rebuilt.

Are there potential problems running an all rubber line to the modulator (as stock is mostly metal with 1-2" of rubber on the end)? I bought the proper vacuum line. I was lazy and did not want to spend the time bending a metal tube but will if it is deemed a good idea.

Thanks
Gary