Hot Rod Forum banner

Lowering '37 ford coupe

7K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  rusty duck 
#1 ·
My '37 ford coupe has a Fatman front suspension and I would like to lower the front end one inch. I have not weighed the front end, but the coupe is all steel and body is stock, running a chevy 350 motor. I am thinking about cutting one coil on the front springs to get it down an inch. OK or bad idea? Other suggestions?
Thanks

#9 ·
lowering '37 ford coupe

On my coupe the distance between the bottom of the grille and ground is currently 6 1/4". If I go to 2" dropped spindles the distance between the bottom of the grille and the ground would be 4 1/4". I currently have P185-70R-14 wheels/tires on the front. Anyone have theirs this low without trouble hitting on driveways, speed bumps, etc.? I guess I could go to a taller front tire, but again that's $$. Is 4 1/4" asking for trouble? I am a pretty careful driver.

#10 · (Edited)
rusty duck said:
On my coupe the distance between the bottom of the grille and ground is currently 6 1/4". If I go to 2" dropped spindles the distance between the bottom of the grille and the ground would be 4 1/4". I currently have P185-70R-14 wheels/tires on the front. Anyone have theirs this low without trouble hitting on driveways, speed bumps, etc.? I guess I could go to a taller front tire, but again that's $$. Is 4 1/4" asking for trouble? I am a pretty careful driver.
Is there a 1 inch shorter tire?

Attachments

#12 ·
rusty duck said:
do you mean a 1" taller tire?
I don't think so. If the front end needs to be lowered 1" then a 2" shorter tire would lower the front end 1". P185 60R 14's are shorter but there may be an looks or a rubbing (when truning) problem. Just have to look at tire sizes and heights. My point is that it may be a lot cheaper to buy two tires than springs or spindles.

Attachments

#14 ·
Biothree, thanks for your thoughts. I get it about checking tire heights. And, Shine, you are probably right, and your reply made me smile. I do have another nice original grille, but don't want to use it to replace one that being stupid caused it to be needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.