Hot Rod Forum banner

Lowering a 95 c/k 1500 ?

13K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  speede5 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 2wd, xtd cab GMC 1500 that I would like to lower a bit. I am thinking 2" front, 3" rear. What I want to know is how this would look and function, if anyone out there has done this. I would like to level the truck out front to back but I don't want to lose functionality. No cutting of springs or heating either. I was going to use drop spindles for the front and a shackle kit for the back. With the rear I am anticipating the need for pinion shims, but would like the shocks to be retained ( just installed brand new ones). Any tips or pictures of varying drops would be appreciated. I am having trouble finding good pics of a 2/3 drop, so many in the weeds.

#2 ·
dropped chev

i've lowered my 91 chev with dropped spindles and rear shackles and found that i had to put the front leaf spring perches in aswell to level it out and also note that you cant run a 15 inch rim either because your front control arms hang down to far as well hope this helps and if you need a picture let me know and I'LL send you one

#3 ·
That sucks, I really like the stock 15 inch chrome steel wheels. IMO they are one of the nicest factory rims GM ever made. The drop spindles seem like the only way to go, I don't want to muck around with the springs.

How is your frame to axle clearance in the back. i was looking the other day and it looks like a 4" drop will get pretty close. I might have to beef up the springs a bit so it won't bottom with a load. Looks like the bumpstops gotta go too.

A pic would be great. Thanks

#4 ·
This is stock height with stock wheels and tires (235/75-15)

This is still stock height, but with 255/55-18

Now we have it lowered 2"/4"

And, just for giggles this is what it looks like with a topper. Unfortunately I never took a side view crouched down. I can't take another one because I sold it last month.

I had to put air shocks on it to keep off the bump stops, especially when I put the topper on. To haul any kind of load I would use air helper springs. I never planned on hauling anything more than the air shocks couldn't make up for.

You can run a 15" wheel if you are willing to trim the lower A arm for clearance. Lots of people have done so, if you search fullsizechevy.com or gmfullsize.com you will net all the info you need for that. My drop kit was used when I bought it, so i looked up the install directions on DJM's website and found they advise you to trim the A arm or run larger wheels.

Springs are really not much harder to install than the spindles. You have to remove all of the same parts anyway.

Chris

#5 ·
Nice truck! That looks about right for me. The reason I like the spindles over the springs is that, unless I'm wrong, it doesn't change the suspension angles and travel from stock. No changes to camber. Not that an alignment can't take care of it but why get too carried away. I still want a functional daily driver. The air springs sound like a good idea, I was thinking of them anyway for when I have my trailer hooked up.

#6 ·
You are right about the ride. It does not change with the spindles. You will still need an alignment either way. Mine drove like poo on the way to the alignment shop.

I had a set of the Firestone Ride-Rite bags on the back of my 66 F-100. It was lowered 3"/4". It also towed a 5000# travel trailer and did so pretty well with those bags on it. I had air shocks on it first, I quickly dumped those and went for the bags. Sorry for the pic quality, it was my first digital camera.

#8 ·
Thanks. They are cool rides. I prefer Ford to Chevy, but to me the 88-98 GM trucks can't be beat. I had one F150 ext cab, never again. Rode and drove like poo, I hated every second I was in it. The GM trucks were well built and the styling of the aforementioned years can't be beat in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.