Lowering - Camber issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 04:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lowering - Camber issues

I want to lower my 49 Lincoln (Mercury). Primarily with a set of Air Ride Tech Cool ride and Airover springs - air bags. But also I want to use 2" Fat Man drop spindles to avoid camber issues associated with just using cut springs/extracted leafs/blocks etc. (I will use a combination of those in addition to the spindles and air bags.) But I'm trying to figure out how low I can go without camber issues. How much extra camber adjustment do I receive by adding the drop spindles? I know it's probably 2".

But if I knew how low you could go without camber issues - not using the dropped spindles - I assume I could add 2" to it with the use of the dropped spindles. And I'd have my final answer. And could make out a complete parts list.

I've read the many threads concerning lowering on the forum. Anyone know how low you can go without camber issues forcing the use of the dropped spindles on a 49-51 Merc (same thing as my Lincoln as far as I know)?

The rear is just an issue of welding in a larger drive shaft tunnel into the floor pan. Which is quite shallow to begin with - 7" clearance at the rear. But only a few inches of bump in the floor pan. So I can raise it quite a bit before turning the floors into Mt. Everest.

Any help prior to ordering a bunch of parts would be greatly appreciated.

49' Lincoln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 12:24 AM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey man- Being in SoCal (probably the Mecca of lowriders and hotrods) there should be at least a dozen shops within the local calling area that could offer advice.

As far as camber goes- I would think that you could use the 2" spindles and maybe go another 2" below that and still be able to correct your camber. I've seen people cut springs or use lower springs without the spindles and not ruin tires (with a good amount of shims) and go 3".... I'm not sure about the specifics on a '49 Merc/Lincoln, though.

Of course, if you use the bags your camber will be off when you drop it. So, I'd set your camber correct for normal ride hight. You could see how much space is available for adjustment in your front suspension (if it's double wishbone- how many shims it'll hold should equal a distance in inches of correction) then add 2" for the spindles.

Did that make any sense?

Good luck,
Nooj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.