Hot Rod Forum banner

lowering s10

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  chevelle_502 
#1 ·
i would like to build a "rat rod". I thought a channeled s10 pick up might be a good start. has anyone tried this? good or bad? need some details. Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
If your talking about a flat black, body dropped s-10, yeah, been done to death! Look in ANY minitruck mag/website/carshow. You'll see a handful everytime. If you are talking about a mismatched, cobled up bodydropped (newskool word for channeled) s-10, yeah done to death! Look in ANY minitruck mag/website........ :mwink: You get the picture.

#4 ·
Oh yeah, "rat rod" is a stupid name that was started by Grey Baskerville. It has now become a word associated with piece of crap, unsafe, junk vehicles that should have stayed in the field they were scavanged from before someone got barely running and sprayed with flat black rattlecan rustoleum! :pain:

#5 ·
what a jerk

Underground said:
Oh yeah, "rat rod" is a stupid name that was started by Grey Baskerville. It has now become a word associated with piece of crap, unsafe, junk vehicles that should have stayed in the field they were scavanged from before someone got barely running and sprayed with flat black rattlecan rustoleum! :pain:
I don't remember asking anyones opinion of the term "rat rod". This is my first time using hotrodders.com and if this is an example of the mentality I'm sorry I bothered. I happen to be 71 years old & i built hot rods & customs & stock cars, nitro drag bikes & midgets before you were even born. Who in the hell are you any how? I know George Barris, I knew big daddy Roth, the Granatelli bros. Bill Von Esser, Don Garlits, Chris Karamasines, Roger Ward & many others whose names you wouldn't even know because you're a ******** punk! Ask your Grandfather, he'll tell you although I doubt if youu would even listen. rat rod rat rod RAT ROD RAT ROD, I KIND OF LIKE THAT TERM. GFY

#6 ·
Just cause you don't like what I said doesn't mean its not true. ANYBODY can throw out names doesn't impress anybody! There's a guy on here that talked about how he has built 2 Riddler award winning show cars, but the paint problems he was having were BASIC newby problems. Nobody cares about talk!
You're right, you didn't ask about the term "rat rod". That was free info. Your original question was has anybody tried building a channeled (bodydropped is the term the youngin's use now!) S10. The answer is still YES. See my first post!

#8 ·
Hey, relax guys.

We know you're new here. No problem. The only person to say anything personal in response.

We have lots of "rat rodders" around here. They are all important members.

If you could reread the answers that were posted, I think you'll see no body said anything to get upset about.

So, welcome to HR.com. I think you'll find lots of good info and great people around here.

454 RATTLER

#9 ·
Both members need to calm down or I will toss them, No name calling, no GFY, leave it in the school yard with the school yard children. Underground, drender is right, he didn't ask for a lecture, drender...we have an ignore button, if someone bothers you, use the button. The next outburst of ignorance will get a suspension. Dan

#11 ·
454 Rattler said:
Hey, relax guys.
We know you're new here. No problem. The only person to say anything personal in response.

We have lots of "rat rodders" around here. They are all important members.

If you could reread the answers that were posted, I think you'll see no body said anything to get upset about.

So, welcome to HR.com. I think you'll find lots of good info and great people around here.

454 RATTLER

I'm sorry about that second sentence. It doesn't make any sense to me now that I've read it again.

Anyway, I hope everyone has had time to cool off and move on.

454 RATTLER

#14 ·
matt167 said:
Most if not all s10's that are bodydropped ( channeled ) are also on air bags. Actually, most mini truckers would look at you funny if it wasn't 'bagged'..

Quick google search found this example
The reason for this is because you can only get so low with a body drop. To get as low as these guys do( laying rockers on the ground) you HAVE to bag it. You can only z a frame so far too. You have a hood/fenders, ect to deal with, where hoodless/fenderless cars of the 20s-30s, you don't have those obstacles.

#16 ·
Don't know what end result your looking for but an s10 frame seems to be a good starting platform for such a project whether you use the body or integrate another onto it.

oh and not to beat a dead horse :spank: but I believe Gray Baskerville didnt coin the term "rat rod" but rather just brought it into mainstream light. :thumbup:

#17 ·
chevelle_502 said:
oh and not to beat a dead horse :spank: but I believe Gray Baskerville didnt coin the term "rat rod" but rather just brought it into mainstream light. :thumbup:
:drunk: Does it really matter if he was the first person to say the words "rat rod"? He IS the one who brought it to the hot rodding world. What it has evolved into, is anybody having an old piece of junk car throws a rustoleum flat black paintjob and a few pinstripes and calls it a rat rod. No matter WHAT kind of car/truck.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.