LS-1 vs. DOHC 32v 4.6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Ford Freak

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post LS-1 vs. DOHC 32v 4.6

Ok, so this is not really a tech question, i just kinda want to see what most people think out there. SO which engine is better, having more perforance, reliability, technology, potential, etc. Im kinda having a beef with this guy about which is better. So let me know what you think.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2002, 10:47 AM

Personaly the ls-1 is better than any 4.6 on the
market.I have friends with both 4.6 and 5.0 stangs
as well as ls-1 camaros and the ls-1 and 5.0's move better.Remember,only my opinion.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:01 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Nobody can deny that the Mustang hasn't exactly been kickin' Chevys but lately. But I think if you consider that the new 4.6DOHC coming in the 2003 Cobra is rated at 390hp at 6,000 rpm and 390lb-ft of torque at 3,500rpm, that's a significant increase over the 2001 Cobra which was around 320hp. Even the Cobra-R which had a 5.4 engine produced less hp. The question is how many of us can afford a 2003 Cobra, not me. Maybe I'll grab one used a decade or so from now if I'm still alive and kickin.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:01 PM

The 4.6 has potential for MUCH more power, but doesnt ship with it from the factory. The big question is where to get it.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Yes the 4.6, as does any engine, does have a lot of potential. But the first thing someone at Ford needs to figure out is why they keep popping head gaskets. They had some problems early on with their chain tensioners which they seam to have fixed, but over the last few months we have seen an alarming number of oil and coolant leaks (mostly oil) at the rear corner of the heads. Not sure whether it's a casting problem or Ford changed it's supplier for it's head gaskets. At first it was mostly F-150's with 4.6 engines but now we're seeing Grand Marq's and Crown Vics. as well. It would be a shame if it's just a poor quality head gasket 'cause it really is a great engine.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: dmorris1200 ]</p>
Old 03-19-2002, 09:21 AM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

Yeah, I thought the DOHC 4.6 has why more potential that just any old, fuel injected pushrod 350. There is so much more technology put into the engine. People dont give the 4.6s enough credit.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:01 PM

The big issue is that there are no aftermarket heads and very few people who can hog out the stock ones for more airflow... I wish theyd make a low compression head so that I could run mor turbo in the one im building...
Old 03-19-2002, 07:02 PM

just remember ford dropped something that worked great for the 4.6 and the factories seem to make products that are riddled with problems so their service departments can make lots of cash and modifications are difficult. Another thing to remember is nobody has made a classic in over twenty years,everything is wear dated and they lobby congress for legislation to destroy the old stuff. If you really think about it there's more quality in an old mustang radio nob or GTO headlight bezel or mopar pistol shifter than in the whole fleet they have created today, and if you don't believe me go to the boneyard and try to find parts for 82 to 90 cars most have gone off to the smelter from factory built in obsolesence I myself wouldn't even concider a 4.6 anything or a weak bodied 3rd or 4th gen camaro or firebird(started to do a T/A 3rd had to quit cause it wasn't worth the effort sorry for offending those who did)
Old 03-19-2002, 09:25 PM

Question

Ill lean towards the Chevy because of reliability and performance, We have a fleet of Ford Crown Victoria's with the single overhead cam 4.6 and all the engines have started to develop severe oil consumption problems at about one hundred thousand miles. We also have had the Chevy Caprices and we still have a old one with a LT-1. This vehicle has very good performance with no engine problems, it also has excess of hundred thousand miles. The Fords also have experienced coolant leak problems at the intake manifold which is made of plastic. These problems have turned into costly repair bills. But in Fords defense, the Crown Victoria is a more comfortable car to drive and the interior has held up much better than the Chevy's. this is important when you drive about 150 miles a day. Both the Ford and Chevrolet fleet vehicles we have had no transmission or rearend problems. We recently purchased a new Chevy Blazer 4x4 S.U.V. with a 4.3 V-6 for a fleet vehicle and it has been in the shop more than we have used it. It has had numerous electrical problems.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:08 AM

Last photo:

Good point Studebaker, Ford has come up with an updated intake manifold because of the coolant problems in the police cars. It's a combo. plastic/aluminum and seams to work better. They also used a 100% aluminum on some 4.6's with no problems. I'll say it again, I really believe the biggest faults are simply overeducated engineers that only know software programs and cost cutting parts departments. Almost all the problems we see at the dealership could be remedied by better guality parts and workmanship when they're built. We shouldn't have to fix their goofs later.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:43 PM

To the defense of the Ford, we are going to have to learn to live with OHC motors, and I think the Ford is a very good one, It has bugs, but what brand new motor line doesnt... most of you guys dont remember, but when the first SBCs stared coming off the line, they had all kinds of troubles... The rear main seals always went, the Intakes would never seal, the early ones all flattened the cams at 70k... you get the idea... OHC reduces the valvetrain mass greatly for extended durability, When aftermarket manufactuers finally start making parts for it, it will be a truely great motor.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:23 PM

Reply to "dmorris1200", I have heard that Ford has come up with a solution to the 4.6 intake coolant leak problem by switching to an aluminum manifold. I actually think that the engineers for most of the major auto manufactures do have very good ideas and they do actually know how to engineer a part to work good and last. The problem is with the "bean counters" (accountants) that dictate to the engineers how to make a part cheaper to manufacture. Obviously, a plastic intake manifold (or other part)is much more cost effective to manufacture than aluminum. These companies are in the vehicle sales business not the engineering development business, however with ever increasing fuel economy and emission standards, this mentality is changing. A prime example of this is the early chrysler hemi (331, 354,392). It was stopped in production due to the high cost of machining parts such as combustion chambers and two sets of rocker shafts. The administrators for the company decided that a wedge design engine was cheaper to manufacture and still was able to get the vehicle down the road reliably and also increase profits for the company. And the rest is history!
Old 03-20-2002, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Very well said Studebaker, yes money is the root of all that is evil. But I would love to make a few engineers pull 4.6 engines out of new F-150's all day. Did they really need to stuff half the engine under the cowl. Is the truck really that much better because of it (in the real world). I just don't know, but I'm really enjoying this topic. Thanks for gettin it going mustang66, having much fun!
Old 03-20-2002, 08:57 PM

I know what you mean. Dodge does the same thing, ever look at a dodge truck with a V-10, half the engine is under the cowl. These are still easier than some other vehicles. Ever try to replace a water pump on a V-12 Jaguar! I did and I still have nightmares! And if you ever have a wiring problem on a Jag, forget it! Wiring by Lucas, Yea right. You know why the Brits drink warm beer? Because Lucas make refrigerators too!
Old 03-25-2002, 03:36 PM

you guys are having entirely too much fun!all good points though.the engineers do need to be made to work on the designs they stick us with! imagine what changes would be wrought!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.