Hot Rod Forum banner

LS distributor conversion

16K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Hotrod46 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 · (Edited)
Note that on the Edelbrock conversion the heads would have to be changed to LS3 rectangular ports. Do not know how much each conversion would cost but I think well over $1000 and to what end?
I'm just asking because I am an old, set in my ways guy who is being dragged kicking and screaming into the age of computers. I'm so fed up with that crap that I could just scream.

So, I was thinking what it would be like to drop a 4.8 or 5.3 into a little sports car with a carb and distributor. The heads are eons ahead of any Gen I heads and it would be worth the expense to me just to have a really good running little motor that would make good power and get good mileage. I would want to use a Performer RPM mounting a Quadrajet (with adapter) and a Davis Unified Ignition HEI distributor.

Any Gen I that you put together will cost ten dollars per horsepower, so if you could find a low miles 4.8 or 5.3 for under $2000 and convert it for under $2000, it would be practical to me to do so (400 hp for under $4000, with really good fuel mileage).

#4 ·
LS distributor

I understand about the "modern" new fangled stuff. OK, here is what I have learned about the LS family. First, if you want just the engine the price would be around $500. If it has 100K on the clock you would never wear it out in a street rod or special interest vehicle. Now, for the horsepower look for a 6.0 and change the cam and valvetrain out to an LS6 and the HP will be closer to 500 then 400. Want driveability, keep the F.I. buy a harness and your biggest headache will be the fuel system and pump. Everything else is plug and play. Total cost of a 5.3/4L60E conversion should be somewhere around $3000. By the way, Hot Rod Mag swapped the cam on a 5.3 and gained close to 100 HP.

#5 ·
I wouldn't use the distributer on the GEN 3/4 engines. Just run one of the ignition boxes that gives the ignition curve to the 8 Coil Near Plug Injectors, then you can tune with your carb if you wish.

The guy running the dyno says it best, kinda makes the old L 76 365hp/327 look silly.

peace'
Hog

#9 ·
Tech, I've only seen one of those in use. Owner had it and an Edelbrock dual plane in a street rod pickup truck on a 5.3. As I recall, he said it used a Ford fuel pump and distributor. He seemed to be knowledgeable and talked real favorably about the conversion. Before I made the jump to EFI on my current project, I was seriously considering the same distributor conversion myself and for the same reasons as you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.