LS Engine for my 36 Packard - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

LS Engine for my 36 Packard

I am considering an LS engine for my 1936 Jr Packard. Looking really for drive rather than thrust. Couple questions.

1. I see crate engines that offer 2 bolt and 4 bolt mains. Do I really need a 4 bold for this engine?

2. Looking for FI. Do I need to worry about a computer for this?

3. What kind of transmission should I match up with it? Want to try and make this as smooth as possible of an install.

4. Not sure how much modification I will need to do to the front end for this engine?

Really appreciate any thoughts or feedback. New to all of this and looking to learn. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

You may not need all the smog equipment seeing as your car is so old, but GM's E Rod crate engine can be purchased complete with the computer controls and just about everything else you need to get a fuel injected engine up and running in a different chassis.
Good luck!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

E Rod engine

That E Rod engine is impressive. Looks like it only comes in the LS3? I really do not need 400+bph. I am looking closer to 325 and get a little better mileage. I probably should have mentioned I am trying to stay about $8K for engine, trans, and rear end.

For the rear end we are most likely looking at the 9" Ford. So $500-$700 should cover that. Leaving about $7K for the rest.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

Yes, that rules out the easiest solution--throwing money at the problem.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Why don't you just pull a 5.3L drivetrain out of a wrecked truck? It seems like a no brainer. You can find them with the engine, harness, computer, and trans for less than $2k. You will also need a fuel pump that can supply the engine. As for mains you must not be looking at LS enignes if they offer "2 bolt or 4 bolt".

BTW, with a good set of headers and a dyno tune you'll have your 325hp, and some pretty outstanding mileage. Thow a cam and a few other tricks in and you can have an easy 400hp with good mileage and still WAY under your 7K budget.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

If money were no object... but the joy is finding creative solutions within budgets!

So I guess I go back to all the original questions if anyone has suggestions. Appreciate the leads and giving me items to research.

Jag
Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Why don't you just pull a 5.3L drivetrain out of a wrecked truck? It seems like a no brainer. You can find them with the engine, harness, computer, and trans for less than $2k. You will also need a fuel pump that can supply the engine. As for mains you must not be looking at LS enignes if they offer "2 bolt or 4 bolt".

BTW, with a good set of headers and a dyno tune you'll have your 325hp, and some pretty outstanding mileage. Thow a cam and a few other tricks in and you can have an easy 400hp with good mileage and still WAY under your 7K budget.
Thanks for the info ap72. So another newbie question, is an engine set up for a truck going to need to be modified for 'performance' versus 'torque'? I am using the terms loosly.

Also, where does one go to find these wrecks? I Understand there are deals to be had but no clue how to find them? Craigs list has a couple here and there but these things have 160K miles on them and will probably be more trouble than they are worth.

As for the 2 bolt 4 bolt options...I was looking at phoenixengines.com they had a couple different options there.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagatai
Thanks for the info ap72. So another newbie question, is an engine set up for a truck going to need to be modified for 'performance' versus 'torque'? I am using the terms loosly.

Also, where does one go to find these wrecks? I Understand there are deals to be had but no clue how to find them? Craigs list has a couple here and there but these things have 160K miles on them and will probably be more trouble than they are worth.

As for the 2 bolt 4 bolt options...I was looking at phoenixengines.com they had a couple different options there.

If phoenixengines lists that then I would NOT buy an engine from phoenix. In regards to the deals, EBAY. Just find one with 100K or less and a reasonable warranty. Those enignes can easily make 300k miles as long as you use good oil, I CANNOT STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF OIL.

Regarding performance vs torque, do yourself a favor and NEVER mention torque again. It is pretty much meaningless. What you do need to follow is a specific RPM range (where you will be driving) and look for the best power in that range. peak hp and tq values are near useless for a daily driver as they can both occur way outside your operating range if you're not careful. OPERATING RANGE is key when selecting parts.

If you put no other speed parts on the engine you get I would at least get good headers, they make a WORLD of difference in power and mileage.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Thanks so much for the education. This all makes complete sense. Really I am just looking to get something that feels like it has some giddyup when driving not really looking to race it. I will check eBay and I think there are a couple of pull-a-part places around here that might work as well.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.