LS1 harness question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

LS1 harness question

While I'm posting on the electrical discussion board, here's a problem. My '51 Pontiac has an LS1 with the complete OEM harness pirated from a totalled '02 Silverado. The truck was wadded up in front, and I couldn't start it untill the engine/trans and harness was transplanted into the wagon. It has been driven over 5,000 miles this summer with no real problems, but some annoying "bad habits".

The key is hard to remove from the lock, it's hard to find the "sweet spot". The fuel gauge doesn't work, the temp ga. doesn't work, odometer is dark with the engine running, but does light up with the ign. on, if I fiddle with the key a bit. The cruise control doesn't energize, and the tow/haul feature doesn't either. All the other gauges work, interior lights, other stuff as GM intended. No accessory on position, radio works only with the lights on (?).

I'm thinking since I don't have any driveabililty problems, it runs and shifts just fine, that the problem may lie in the ign. switch itself, considering it's hard to get the key out and doesn't "feel" right. The column got racked pretty hard when the truck was crashed, bent the steering wheel, air bags blown. Using the same column. Of course, I don't expect a miracle, but thinking maybe alignment of the switch, damage, as some stuff works and some doesn't. Poor ground would seem to disable everything, not just a few items, some of which share the same fuses (all OK, I've checked).

Go ahead and laugh, I am, 'cause other than that, it's great!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Great set up.First where the key goes in is not the switch it is only a lock that operates a rod to the bottom of the column where the switch is.Second a bad ground is different from no ground.A bad ground will cause problems that dont make sense and drive you nuts. I would make sure that you have a good ground from the battery to engine block and block to frame and engine to body and body to frame ,it might seem redundant but new electronics really like good grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.