Ls1/Ls2 95 1500 swap. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ls1/Ls2 95 1500 swap.

Hi everyone, this is my first post though admittedly I've used this site several times as a guest for research and normally have positive results. My question today is regarding a swap I have a 95 Chevy cheyenne K1500 with a 350 TBI motor in it. I was wanting to put in a LS1 or 6.0 LS2. My question specifically is if I take the 4L60E out and put a non electronic transmission in such as a 700R4 would that make wiring a little easier since I wouldn't have to have a computer to run the transmission, just the motor? Also, I'm not worried about any fabrication work because both my best friends are welders and metal workers. Thanks for any help in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Actually, the swap is supposed to be straight forward. You have to use a donor harness/ ECU and have them converted to standalone unless you want to pay out the rear for aftermarkets so the PCM and it's wiring can arleady control the correct 4L60-E normally found behind the LS engines..

The swap has been done many times and usually can be done for less than $2k. Many parts are off the shelf including motor mount adapters and an A/C conversion bracket to use the '95 A/C compressor
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM

Thank you for the help! I wanted to say I read that somewhere but was a little confused due to the topic constantly changing. I was trying to do the least amount of wiring possible due to it being my weak point.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 PM

Do you think trying to locate the LS2, transmission, ECU and harness from a GTO would work?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

It could but your cheapest HP will come from a truck Lq4 or LQ9 6.0L. You can find low mile wrecks for little money. If it's throttle by wire you just need the gas pedal also.

LS2's were also available in Trailblazer SS's and Saab 9-7X correctly equipped.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

g.m. performance parts offers a stand alone harness that after you get through redoing the stock ecu and harness , will be cheaper in the long run..
I'd keep the 4l60e if you have it.. you are going to have to wire up the truck anyways.. as the newer trucks the gauge cluster is run by the ecu I'm not sure the 95 is or not.. that's where the headache is going to be...
Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

I agree.The LQ4 or LQ9 would be your best option & as stated above,your 95 instumentation is gonna be 1 of the biggest problems you're gonna run into either way you go.You will need a later model 4L60E as well.If you could find a donor truck,that would be the way to go.IIRC,you will need the swap kit especially for the 4x4.I think there are some oilpan clearance issues.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

You can use a newer PCM and control your existing 95 speedo cluster(same as the 96-98) trans and whatever GEN 3 engine you wish.

If you dont like wiring, get a harness made. They you can use an 0411 PCM to control any engine you wish and the trans you have.

EFIConnection EFI Connection, LLC - Welcome to www.eficonnection.com Can build you a harness for around $600.

peace
Hog
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 AM

Well, I'm not worried about money ( no offense ) I'm single and make pretty good. It does have a 4L60E and it is also 4X4 but the transfers busted and I have no interest in 4X4 honestly. I had thought about the idea of using an LQ motor and having a harness made and buying a stand alone engine management system. I think I'm going to go with the LS1, the LS2 was just more appealing due to the extra cubes. I'm building the truck to show but also want some power on tap. I appreciate all of ya'lls answers and advice. I'm not trying to be confusing or hard to deal with I just don't know how to put out what I wanna say over a computer sometimes lol. I'm honestly just at a crossroads because this is the biggest thing I've done independently at this date. Again, thanks guys.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 AM

Also, i don't know if this matters but I planned on fiberglassing the dash and getting after market gauges.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

The book in this picture would help you if youwant to use a GM PCM.

Why do you prefer the LS2 over the LQ4/9?
They are all the same basic GEN 3 design engine.
Do you plan on installing a stock engine, or will it be modded? If you wish to stay stock, then do the LS2.
There is also the LS3 6.2 for 430hp stock, and with a cam 525hp potential easily.

It all really depends on your end. ANything can be done, you just have to figure out what you wanna do.

peace
Hog
Old 12-05-2013, 12:59 PM

Last journal entry: electric fans
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Epic Fail View Post
Well, I'm not worried about money ( no offense ) I'm single and make pretty good. It does have a 4L60E and it is also 4X4 but the transfers busted and I have no interest in 4X4 honestly. I had thought about the idea of using an LQ motor and having a harness made and buying a stand alone engine management system. I think I'm going to go with the LS1, the LS2 was just more appealing due to the extra cubes. I'm building the truck to show but also want some power on tap. I appreciate all of ya'lls answers and advice. I'm not trying to be confusing or hard to deal with I just don't know how to put out what I wanna say over a computer sometimes lol. I'm honestly just at a crossroads because this is the biggest thing I've done independently at this date. Again, thanks guys.
If you are looking for a street truck you would be better off and cheaper with less work to sell your 4x4 and by a 2wd.
When I swapped my Vette many moons ago I used a 700r4 with the painless lock up kit. I bought a new convertor that would bolt up if you don't want to spend that money$700-800 you can buy a conversion kit that comes with a flexplate and spacer that allows the older trans to bolt up to the newer engine.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:10 PM

I thought about buying a 2wd but the truck was actually my step brothers and it's just sitting there... I've had it running numerous times an I only paid 500 for it. I was thinking that since the transfers busted anyway I could drop it, change transmissions and rear ends. To be honest I took a step back and I think I'm gonna try and keep everything drive train wise old school.... The amount of wiring is kind of intimidating to be honest and I would like to do most of the work myself instead of sourcing it out. BUT if my idea is a no go then I may sell it and get a 2wd, I also have a 97 mustang I think my buddy and I are gonna drag when we decide on a class. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S HELP AND ADVICE but after looking at it I think the wiring might be a little much for me.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM

Last journal entry: electric fans
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Epic Fail View Post
I thought about buying a 2wd but the truck was actually my step brothers and it's just sitting there... I've had it running numerous times an I only paid 500 for it. I was thinking that since the transfers busted anyway I could drop it, change transmissions and rear ends. To be honest I took a step back and I think I'm gonna try and keep everything drive train wise old school.... The amount of wiring is kind of intimidating to be honest and I would like to do most of the work myself instead of sourcing it out. BUT if my idea is a no go then I may sell it and get a 2wd, I also have a 97 mustang I think my buddy and I are gonna drag when we decide on a class. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S HELP AND ADVICE but after looking at it I think the wiring might be a little much for me.
Oh please don't be scared of the wiring. I was most worried about that on my swap as well and it turned out to be the easiest part. Just buy an aftermarket harness. You order it with whatever parts you are using on the car. ie: auto, ac, etc. nand it is simply plug and play. You have about 5 wires you have to put somewhere. Power, ac signal, check engine light, ground. These come to mind off the top of my head. Honestly the wiring is cake.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 PM

Hmm. Alright, thanks for the heads up.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.