Hot Rod Forum banner

LS1 Radiator in 56 Chevy

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  hotroddr 
#1 ·
I am installing an LS1 from a 2002 Camaro into my 56 Chevy 210. I know they make radiators for the 56 that are supposed to support higher horsepower engines with air and power accessories. I'm not sure, however, since I a installing an LS1 engine if it matters which type of radiator I need to use. Most of the ones built specifically for the 56 are usually the shape of the original 56 radiator. Does anyone know if I need to use one designed for the LS1 engine with the shape used in the Camaro/Firebird cars. Also if you know of Vendors that would be helpful. I will be using the 4L60E transmission.

Thanks - Steve

#2 · (Edited)
you simply need one that will support your motors power.best choice's are usually a large dual core aluminum radiator.when using an automatic i like to just run my cooling lines to the tranny cooler and not through the radiator.if you live where its extremely cold in the winter though you may want to run it through the radiator first then the cooler and back to the radiator then the trans in the winter to keep it from running to cold if you have an auto.

#4 ·
GoneNova/406 said:
you simply need one that will support your motors power.best choice's are usually a large dual core aluminum radiator.when using an automatic i like to just run my cooling lines to the tranny cooler and not through the radiator.if you live where its extremely cold in the winter though you may want to run it through the radiator first then the cooler and back to the radiator then the trans in the winter to keep it from running to cold if you have an auto.
Thanks for the info. I take it from your post that the shape really doesn't matter as long as the cooling supports the engine. I live in Oklahoma so our winters are not extreme. Guess I wouldn't need the trans cooler to run through the radiator first in that case. I'm sure I would need an electric cooling fan that would fit whatever shape I end up with. Could possibly modify a fan to fit but don't know if that would make sense.

#6 ·
re: LS1 in tri five chevy

I bought one off the internet from a vendor that buys seconds (usually appearance issues) from Griffin. The Griffin radiator web site is just about useless in finding what fits what. The printed catalog is much better.
If you have a stock radiator core support, you can put the radiator in front of the core support - 6 cylinder position - and get a really big cross flow radiator without cutting up too much sheet metal.
If you look a ebay motors use crossflow radiators or 56 chevy radiators as a search term.
The LS1 is reverse flow so the only real concern is placement of the radiator cap - away from the upper hose - and hose size.
I'm sure that Classic Chevy and Danchuk also have radiators for this set up.
I paid $445 for an aluminum crossflow double pass radiator from the ebay store of radiator outlet.
Good luck
Oldstreetrodder

#8 ·
If you have AC get the aluminum Griffin 2 core rad and use it in the stock 8 cylinder position. Should be fine as far as cooling capacity is concerned. I drove my 55 this summer for an hour in stop-and-go, it was about 95F, with the air on high, no problem with overheating.

The cooling fans are an issue with these cars when the rad is in the 8 cyl. position. Big fans won't fit cause the clearance from the water pump neck to the rad is so tight. I got rid of the useless stock fan and put in a Cyclone electric fan in front of the AC condenser. That finally put an end to all overheating problems for good...

Auxhilary tranny coolers should always be installed before the rad. The water in the bottom of the rad is usually just warm, not hot like the top (unless maybe you're towing a trailer on a hot day). Tranny shouldn't be over-cooled, which can happen if you install the cooler after the rad. The best method is to install the cooler after the rad but to use an oil thermostat to bypass the auxiliary tranny cooler when the fluid temp is low.

#9 ·
radiator

I put a Mattson's in my 55. Their big block radiator is a cross flow that spans almost the entire grill area. Has dual fans and polished manifold for AC condenser. It is designed as a dual pass with in/out same side- I had them make mine single pass. First rod I've had that I could let idle with ac on in Texas heat and not worry about getting too hot. Bill :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.