LS1 vs. LS1(364) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 01:59 AM

Last journal entry: 69 Mustang
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

LS1 vs. LS1(364)

I've asked this question before but I've received a million different answers. So I want to ask it one final time so I can make my final decision. I have a 350 in a 84 Camaro. About a year ago, a friend gave me a 6.0 liter LS1(364) truck engine. It needs a little work, but overall it's a pretty solid motor. He said it would be a good motor for my camaro. So my plan was to convert it to carburation, and stick it in the Camaro. The Camaro is'nt a daily driver. I pulled it out every now and again on the weekends. I'm hoping one day it will be worth something.(Wishful thinking) I've also been told that since it's a truck engine, it would be a waste to put it in the Camaro and it will not perform the way I think it would. Can someone tell me how would this engine work out in a Camaro and/or what would be the best thing to do with it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 03:33 AM

Last photo:

are you planning n putting them in almost stock? or would you upgrade whichever engine you go with like the cam? casue if you get yourself a nice after market cam, the bigger engine will just straight up be better
Old 07-04-2008, 08:22 AM

In general, the LS1 truck engine could be built up for the Camaro, but in its stock form it probably isn't matched very well to your car. The stock cam is designed for low end torque and fuel injection, and you want to put it in a lighter weight car and run it with a carb to get strong horsepower output. If left in factory configuration, you might not be happy with the performance. It also won't be able to run a mechanical fuel pump and probably will require a new flex plate.

If you use the right cam and intake/carburetor combination with the LS1, you could have a good motor to use, but unless you buy the right parts I'm not sure that it will be much stronger than the stock 350.

Is the stock 350 in good shape? If you want to retain long term value for your Camaro, it would be better to stay with the stock engine and build it for better performance.

Bruce
Old 07-04-2008, 08:41 AM

A while back Hor Rod magazine took one of those engines and put a carb on it, changed the cam and ended up with 450+ HP. GM makes a timing cover also that will accept a distributor if you don't want to deal with the electronics for the ignition.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:35 AM

Depending on what year the motor is, they are stout motors for torque and horsepower. the new 6.0 Truck engines are rated at 367hp and 375ft-lbs, and remember that's with accessories attached. If you want to spend some money on it, you can get the heads ported or even put a stroker kit in it. These motors can be bored and stroked to insane numbers for a block their size. Remember however that nothing on these motors will interchange with a Gen I or Gen II small block. I also saw a magazine article (not sure if it was the same one) for about 4,000 bucks including the price of the motor they made 480hp. It's easy to make LS blocks put out big power. A guy I know put a 6.0 Vortec truck motor in a 92 Camaro and raced it in pinks all out. He bored and Stroked it to like 438ci (which isn't the max) and built the motor. ended up puttin out about 1200hp on nitrous. He couldn't hold traction when he was racin tho. GMPP has some cylinder heads that can work on the 6.0 block that flow amazing numbers right out of the box.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:28 AM

I think that was the same article. No porting necessary, and I wouldn't bother anyway because for about a grand you can buy the latest set of heads from GM that they have out for that engine (they are actually used on the latest trucks so they are a stock production piece and super cheap for what they offer), they outflow any small block head and are more on par with the flow potential of a BBC head. They have HUGE ports and on that same build were good for 550HP. Not bad for a cam, headers and heads out of 364 CID.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the input. I was given a Cam with the engine:
SLP51013
ADV DUR: 287 281
DUR: .050: 234 228 LOBE SEP: 113.0
Valve Lift: .576 .571

Does that sound like something good for a Camaro?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

So basically, the only thing that I would be able to use from this engine in a car is the block. I will need new heads, cams, and ofcourse the conversion from fuel injection to carburation? Does anyone by chance know which edition of Hot Rod that article was in? I need to read up and find exactly what I need to do to put this thing in a car?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:10 PM

You can keep the original heads, I was just saying if you want to step up stuff is out there. What you will need is an intake for a carburetor. Edelbrock sells them. It also comes with a controller for the spark so you don't need a distributor. (if you want to run a distributor and mechanical fuel pump you will need the timing cover from GM performance). Then come headers but several companies make them. Motor mounts will be needed, but those are also available, they bolt to the block and allow you to use standard small block mounts. Not sure about the oil pan fitment in that chassis. It should bolt up to your trans although there is one bolt that wont line up from what I understand and I personally wouldn't worry about missing one. Of course there will be other incidentals like hoses to the radiator, etc. You don't need to change the cam at all, although it's worth quite a bit of power. It also looks like you have a cam for the engine anyway, it can be changed by removing the rockers, and the timing cover, you don't have to take out the lifters, read up on that swap. They are good engines and you'd be happy with it IMO just putting it in your car. If I got a good deal on one I would stick it in my 68 Malibu convertible in a second, and ditch the 327/powerglide combo. I think my boat would run pretty hard with one also.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.