Thread: ls1 vs sbc 350
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
hcompton

sounds like you actually agree with me.If we build ,as an example, a 500 HP LS or gen 1,then as long as the heads are both capable of correct flow and velocity with decent combustion chamber shape,both use a roller cam and fuel injection with correct A/F ratios and crank fired ignition to compare to modern LS ignition,,,,,

the performance should be the same or very very close?

what the real issues are:
can I make a gen 1 with a carb and flat tappet cam and distributor perform anything at all like a modern engine?
The ls motor can be made to breath a little better down low and will make a little more punch in all. But yeah most numbers you cna make with a ls motor can be made with a gen one. And if were talking major hp like 18 degree heads will provide the gen one may be cheaper since a lot of the parts are easy to come buy. And in this case the gen one is almost surely cheaper in 300-400 flavors as well. Since the op alreayd has one installed.

But the ls motor will make 350 hp and use a lot less fuel to do it. Since it can do it with less rpm and more stable cam sizes. Never tried 18 degree heads on that small a hp number not sure how they would perform but all ls heads are no more than 15 degree. I think 12 degree is also out there.

But yes for my money i would build the gen one and forget about it. Now a 6 speed or th700r4 will increase the mpg by leaps and bounds. But both are much larger than stock. my not bolt to stock cross member but worth the effort to make them fit. Th700r4 wpuld be faster at the strip than a manual. Also provide near manual fuel milage with lockup options all setup right.