Lsx swap worth it? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
$600? You must have the midas touch. a worn 350/th350 is worth slightly more than the price of scrap around here, maybe $300-$400. BE REALISTIC. your mileage and gas prices seem accurate though. $1500 for an engine and trans swap seems low to me, but entirely possible. you may want to figure an even 2 grand- so you'll pay it off in about 2 years (still not bad!)
The engine was rebuilt about 3,000 miles ago and has some extra's, and the trans was rebuilt about 500 miles ago. I don't think $600 is out of the question.

Also i think $1500 should be about right because i already have the transmission remember. Say $500 for the engine, ecu, and harness. Then the rest for accessories and and other pieces to make it fit.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

you going to run headers..
bye bye budget..
for s_it's and giggle, start a journal, and list the cost as you go..

to give an idea.
my c-10 is a small block. I'm changine to big block
headers 580.oo (coated)
brackets and mounts 159.
front assor dress(brackets and alt/ps pump/ac compressor/ a/c lines/ power stear lines/ belts 1200.00 (remember your ls will not have us threads it be metric and the ps hose ends are different and you'll be paying for these to be made.. same with a/c hoses,
if you can connect to the exhaust under the car now.. say 40 bucks if you do the fitting/welding yourself
the custom coolant hoses
the electric fans
the relays
the fuel system..

please start a journal.. I'd love to see you come even at double your 1000.00 swap budget..
I've seen enough of these stuffed into g bodys to know what the cost really is like..
good luck tho..
wait till you get the sticker shock on the 02 senders cost..
oh, and plan on the oil pan not clearing, most go with the gto pan, and pick up
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
The engine was rebuilt about 3,000 miles ago and has some extra's, and the trans was rebuilt about 500 miles ago. I don't think $600 is out of the question.

Also i think $1500 should be about right because i already have the transmission remember. Say $500 for the engine, ecu, and harness. Then the rest for accessories and and other pieces to make it fit.
A transmission crossmember is almost free as usually you can cut and weld a stock one. The expensive things will be a driveshaft, mounts, clutch, fluids, possible different accessory brackets, different intake manifold, tuning, headers, air ducting and filter, maybe a few random sensors need to be replaced- it adds up fast, BTDT. If you don't want to believe it'll take more DO NOT KEEP A JOURNAL. It'll just make you cry. 2G seems reasonable, assuming you do a good job and most of the work yourself.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
A transmission crossmember is almost free as usually you can cut and weld a stock one. The expensive things will be a driveshaft, mounts, clutch, fluids, possible different accessory brackets, different intake manifold, tuning, headers, air ducting and filter, maybe a few random sensors need to be replaced- it adds up fast, BTDT. If you don't want to believe it'll take more DO NOT KEEP A JOURNAL. It'll just make you cry. 2G seems reasonable, assuming you do a good job and most of the work yourself.
I'll start a journal. Like i said I'm not too worried about the price anyway. I have the driveshaft too btw, forgot to mention that.
I can get junkyard fans for next to nothing.
I was planning on running shorty headers and they tend to be a lot cheaper, plus the car is getting lowered so i don't want any ground clearance problems with long tubes.

I know the little things add up, but I'm pretty good add staying within the budget i set, plus i have a lot of parts that i will need already.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.