Hot Rod Forum banner

LT-1 hot start????????

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  bsa_bob2 
#1 ·
I have this engine in my 49 ford convert. The question is; The car never has overheated, it runs excellet once its warmed up. When i get back from a show or cruise,and attempt to start it, it gives me that chevrolet ,starting noise like its super hot. It isn't, and it turns slow[intermittant between fast turning and slow starter.
Its turning the engine. nothing is close to the starter.[exhaust or] Where would i look to start with----it is computerized and didn't do this when i first got it done. After cool down its back to normal.Any clues what to look for , i need them and thank you for any help bob s

PS it sounds like the timing is off, could the computer be sending the wrong message.

#2 ·
F-BIRD'88 said:
The starter motor may be pooched. The solenoid may be pooched.

The battery + or ground wire may be finished or the end corroded.

The battery may be pooched.

Check the base spark timing of rhe engine.
You can install a ignition spark power interupt swtich to kill the spark during hot cranking.

Do you have the newer corvette LT-1 LT-4 mini gear reduction style starter motor? Much better than the older large body GM starter motor.

How do i check the"base spark plug timing"?And where do i get one of the ignition power interupt switch?

#3 ·
F-BIRD'88 said:
The starter motor may be pooched. The solenoid may be pooched.

The battery + or ground wire may be finished or the end corroded.

The battery may be pooched.

Check the base spark timing of rhe engine.
You can install a ignition spark power interupt swtich to kill the spark during hot cranking.

Do you have the newer corvette LT-1 LT-4 mini gear reduction style starter motor? Much better than the older large body GM starter motor.

I have what looks to be a half breed-half way between a big and the mini-starter.Fairly log comparatively..Its a smaller dia; than the big chevy starters, from back in the day.

#4 ·
Having experienced some hot start trouble on my F-body (similar engine combo with similar GM family issues) I looked into heat soak and drive reduction units. Should be a good place for you to start once you know the timing is as it should be. Though if you are only experiencing the issue when the car is warm, my imaginary message board dollars ( as I have none of the real kind) stay on heat soak. Good luck!

#5 ·
Hoop79d said:
Having experienced some hot start trouble on my F-body (similar engine combo with similar GM family issues) I looked into heat soak and drive reduction units. Should be a good place for you to start once you know the timing is as it should be. Though if you are only experiencing the issue when the car is warm, my imaginary message board dollars ( as I have none of the real kind) stay on heat soak. Good luck!

When you say heat soak.you mean access heat from the manifolds overheating the starter??

#9 ·
Starter pooped

What kind of distributer you running? Does it have a mechanical advance? They have been known to stick and you have too much advance while trying to start. How about fuel? Low octane? A gear drive starter is the why to got, uses less amps, lighter, way smaller.

#10 ·
Richiehd said:
What kind of distributer you running? Does it have a mechanical advance? They have been known to stick and you have too much advance while trying to start. How about fuel? Low octane? A gear drive starter is the why to got, uses less amps, lighter, way smaller.

I have an electronic distributor.no advance can be seen,--- so i , as this had crossed my mind not hi enough octane.

Where the best place to get a gear reduction starter? what kind would you guys reccomend?

#11 ·
bsa_bob said:
I have this engine in my 49 ford convert. The question is; The car never has overheated, it runs excellet once its warmed up. When i get back from a show or cruise,and attempt to start it, it gives me that chevrolet ,starting noise like its super hot. It isn't, and it turns slow[intermittant between fast turning and slow starter.
Its turning the engine. nothing is close to the starter.[exhaust or] Where would i look to start with----it is computerized and didn't do this when i first got it done. After cool down its back to normal.Any clues what to look for , i need them and thank you for any help bob s

PS it sounds like the timing is off, could the computer be sending the wrong message.
Powermaster has excellant mini starters,what about groundingfirst.Run grounds from the battery to frame ,frame to bellhousing,frame to starter.Had the same problem on my t bucket. Finally listened to my friends. :) LARRY

#13 ·
I am back and have more news. This car still starts slow after its hot [still]. Can i Adapt [wire in] a ford relay like we did back in the day in this modern, electronic, LT-1, and make this thing start better??I have sorted out all the different things to look for, and i have done this faithfully for each and every helping hint given to me.All grounds cleaned and new star washers installed, also.

I assumed the starter not at fault as i said it is a lot smaller than the old type sbc starters, just a bit longer for some reason.
Last question .-can the guys down town ,[auto zone] see this problem once they plug her in on their scanner they use to keep these electronic engines going smoothly? thank you again bob s

#15 ·
Thanks for the reply. Hey ---------this motor has never been checked for compression, as it runs perfect at idle,I remember i bought this motor is out of a 96 ss impala, It was supposedly a 6000 mile motor, The minute it sets a short period 15 minutes or close She hits right off, and fast turning again.The engine was stolen and litterally set fire while the cops were on thier way to the scene, Kid poured gas on it and tried to burn it.It looked like a lump of coal and all the plastic was melted ,which is a bunch--OF PLASTIC ON THIS gm MOTOR,
i Keep leaning towards a bad starter as thats the side, the kid was trying to burn when the police took the gas can out of his hands....so the story goes.But it has rams horns exh manifolds on it.they are nowhere near the starter,anything at all i'm listening bob

#17 ·
You know that may be an item to check out further.I was surprised at how the dist;and water pump, stater never took a hit from the fire.That ford relay is looking better all the time. I used to know how to do that .I hink i'll go up to electrical and post that out there see what i get. cheers bob s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.