LT1 in a 32 coupe - aesthetic input requested - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
something droll and pithy

Wiki Edits: 0

LT1 in a 32 coupe - aesthetic input requested

Hey everybody. It has been several years, but I'm FINALLY back starting on a project.

This time around it is a '32 ford coupe. The very first item I've purchased toward the project is an LT1 from a '97 Trans Am (yes I got all the wiring and the computer) that had a leaky head gasket. I got it so I could have something to work on over the winter and I could feel like I was making progress. I got it for $400, which I thought was a pretty good deal. I've purchased 3 Gen1 style blocks only to get them back from the machine shop and be told they were unusable for one reason or another.

Anyway, on to my question. The LT1's profile(height) is really short. I'm going to have a LOT of room above the motor because the '32 engine compartment is so tall. Aesthetically it just looks kind of empty.

I thought about creating my own turbo setup, or going with a supercharger, but stock '97 LT1s create ~300 horsepower. I'll be porting the heads a bit and maybe going with a larger diameter TB and bigger injectors, so that will up the power a bit. With the 32 coupe (fiberglass) weighing about 1800 pounds, that is going to put the power to weight ratio at about .16. That is close to Carrera GTs and Ferraris. I know the problem is going to be traction, not power. FYI I'm going to put a 6 speed from a 90's era F body in there.

So, I really don't need any more power (I know, I know HERESY!), and keeping it stock would keep it very reliable.

So what can I do to fill the void? My brother suggested fabricating some sort of intake that uses empty stromberg housings up top. Not to make it REALLY look like they are being used, but almost as a stylistic tribute.

Any thoughts or photos or ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

McDeuce,

I will be doing the same as you, but mine is a 31 Model A sedan. Yes the LT1 is a short looking engine, that will need something on top to fill the gap, I have not come up with a solution as of yet, I'm still working on ideas. I like the idea of a blower or SC of some sort. I may just run my hood and sides to cover mine.

If you come up with something Let me know. Plus look into the LT4 hot cam (or other aftermarket cams) seems to wake up the LT1 engine. Better yet if you are going to port the heads, maybe a look at the LT4 upgrade, this may be a better option.

Steve
Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM
something droll and pithy

Thanks

Hey thanks Steve. I was thinking of running hood and sides as well.
I like to be creative, so I'll let you know if I come up with something.

I'll check into the LT4 cam.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeuce
Hey everybody. It has been several years, but I'm FINALLY back starting on a project.

This time around it is a '32 ford coupe. The very first item I've purchased toward the project is an LT1 from a '97 Trans Am (yes I got all the wiring and the computer) that had a leaky head gasket. I got it so I could have something to work on over the winter and I could feel like I was making progress. I got it for $400, which I thought was a pretty good deal. I've purchased 3 Gen1 style blocks only to get them back from the machine shop and be told they were unusable for one reason or another.

Anyway, on to my question. The LT1's profile(height) is really short. I'm going to have a LOT of room above the motor because the '32 engine compartment is so tall. Aesthetically it just looks kind of empty.

I thought about creating my own turbo setup, or going with a supercharger, but stock '97 LT1s create ~300 horsepower. I'll be porting the heads a bit and maybe going with a larger diameter TB and bigger injectors, so that will up the power a bit. With the 32 coupe (fiberglass) weighing about 1800 pounds, that is going to put the power to weight ratio at about .16. That is close to Carrera GTs and Ferraris. I know the problem is going to be traction, not power. FYI I'm going to put a 6 speed from a 90's era F body in there.

So, I really don't need any more power (I know, I know HERESY!), and keeping it stock would keep it very reliable.

So what can I do to fill the void? My brother suggested fabricating some sort of intake that uses empty stromberg housings up top. Not to make it REALLY look like they are being used, but almost as a stylistic tribute.

Any thoughts or photos or ideas?

Thanks!
GMC blower!

Bogie
Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

there are "dress up only" blowers and/or injectors kits....

http://alsblowers.com/streetinduction.html

but just a custom shape combo air cleaner and motor cover over the whole motor will do it....
ex just for the idea:
tiny stock 289 Ford had a huge steel air cleaner housing {18"Dia x 5"Tall} just to make it look bigger,,,LOL, with about a 2"tall x 10" filter element inside....

(I'm using a modified one, for cold air induction "and" to fill up the engine bay)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor config 2008.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	33607  

Last edited by red65mustang; 10-29-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.