Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknron View Post
Ok, iv got an 89 gcm truck with a vortec 350, and i have an lt1 out of a corvette that im wanting to put in the truck, but i have some questions, can i use my sbc hei distributor and tbi intake? I know more old school mechanics but have little to no knowledge of the lt engines, what kind of problems will i run into using this engine?
If the "Vortec" engine is original to the truck, it's a plane vanilla engine, not what we refer to when we say Vortec 350- which is the '96-up 5.7L RPO L31 truck/SUV engine.

But anyway, the TBI (and distributor) from the truck can be used on the LT1 engine if you use a carb intake for the LT1 like GM p/n 24502592 (about $300). On this intake you'd use an adapter to mount the TBI throttle body. The LT1 cam is not going to play well w/the truck's TBI ECM, so you'll need a chip made for it or a cam change to a cam close in specs to the TBI cam. Changing to a softer cam wouldn't be my first choice.

There's much written about swapping from the Optispark ignition, you can do some digging around for more on that.