Lt1 Pm Rods Or Gm Pink Rods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2003, 12:49 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lt1 Pm Rods Or Gm Pink Rods

Someone made the comment that the new 350 LT-1 rods were lighter and stronger than the GM PINK rods. Is this true? If not what would be a safe max rpm range and horsepower amount for a GM steel crank, LT-1 PM rods, and hypertauntic pistons?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2003, 05:55 AM
Last photo:

It's true, the PM rods are lighter and stronger. GM lists the max rpm for the Fastburn crate engine at 5800rpm. I am quite certain it is considerably higher than that.

Vince
Old 09-23-2003, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

Local shops are building IMSA car engines with the PM rods and they are more durable than the old pink rod, just replace the stock bolts, these rods are seeing more than 7500 rpm constantly.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:53 AM
v8s10.org

Last photo:

Thats what I put in my 383.
The only bad thing that i've heard about them is that rather than bending..they break
Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

I've gotten a few sets off of Ebay for $40-$50. I think they're great. I agree on replacing the stock fasteners. It's no question to go to ARPs. The only bad thing is that GM released a tech notice stating not to heat the little end when installing pistons. Even though I got a set that were already a little blue....I know it was an original set in a motor and it looks like GM heated them!
I'm building some el-cheapo parted 350-383s for testing purposes and will let you know how they last!
I expect to safely get 500-550 horse until they expire...I'll add more nitrous til they do.

2 bolt block....9000 series scat crank.....PM rods...Hyper pistons...pro topline heads.....
Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM
JS-70

Last photo:

From another source....interesting read
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...rds/index.html
Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss crazy
Someone made the comment that the new 350 LT-1 rods were lighter and stronger than the GM PINK rods. Is this true? If not what would be a safe max rpm range and horsepower amount for a GM steel crank, LT-1 PM rods, and hypertauntic pistons?
I beat to a different drummer, I don't use PM at all and I dont like fracture cap technology.

For a hot street or claimer engines I use these SCAT rods SCR6A and SCR6A7. These are both 6 inch, I beam, 4340 forgings using ARP cap screws with alignment dowels, with a bushed pin end. Both outward pinch the big end mating surface this provides a platform positioned such that it naturally resists the tendency of big ends to deform a high RPMs which reduces if not removes bending loads on the fasteners. These rods will usually clear the crankcase and cam when used on stroker motors without having to grind the rods and/or crankcase for clearance. The difference between them is the shank and outside of the mating surface shape of SCR6A is an as forged item so it costs less, while the SCR6A7 is more conformal configuration (smoother), with a surface polished and shot peened beam section.

For performance engines that will see 6000 RPM and higher I shy away from pressed pins, especially where cast hyper-eutectic pistons are used. Should these become overheated and seize the pin, a pressed-in-the-rod pin will fail the piston resulting in loss of the engine. A floating pin, bushed in the rod provides a third bearing pivot point that runs much cooler than the piston itself and therefore less likely to seize the pin. This does mean you have to buy pistons machined for pin retainers and you have to install the retainers correctly.

I'm always amazed how guys cheap out the rods. This is the highest loaded part in the engine and the most likely point of failure and the failure is almost always catastrophic to the rest of the engine. On a risk matrix where the likelihood of an event occurring and the consequences of the event occurring, failure of a rod in a high output, high RPM engine is at Likely to Almost Certain in Likelihood and Major to Catastrophic in Consequence. So rods and pistons get a really big part of my attention.

Bogie
Attached Files
File Type: doc RISK.doc (143.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Do people realize the only thing different about "pink" rods and other GM rods is the pink rods were magnafluxed for cracks. Other than that, the same. I'll take pm rods any day over stock GM steel rods.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

I have abused many of SCAT rods that bogie mentioned in round track engines turning 8000+RPM for 45 minutes to an hour at time.
For a engine for a professional racer I would still go with Oliver or Carrillo but most of the guys I work for are not racing for a living.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.