LT1 problem starting. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 05:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

LT1 problem starting.

I really hope some one out there has seen this problem before. Here is whats going on or not on. 1993 model LT1 put in 55 chevy, car ran great for awhile. was parked and sat for almost 3 yrs. I was going to start finishing it up but when I tried to start it I had problem. put new gas in tank got car started and it ran but it was rough. started to drive it up to shop and it ran for about 100 yards then it shut off just like you turned off Ign. could not get it to restart. It acts like it is flooded, if you unhook the vacume line to fuel rail and hold throttle wide open it will try to start but acts like it is flooded. I have been able to get it to run for a min or two but its blowing black smoke and acting like a carb car with choke on. when engine swap was done for some reason they eliminated the computer hook up except for fuel pump wiring. so needless to say there is no way to get a reading on it. fuel pump is working it has good pressure at bleeder valve. If you hook vac lines back up car won't even act like it want's to start. So short of replacing all the sensors, I hope not cause money is tight. anybody ever seen this problem before or heard of this happening?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 AM

Last journal entry: Getting all the parts together for my LTX build
Last photo:

Is your car sparking at all at the plugs? 3 years of sitting could have let moisture into the opti. Do you have datalogging capabilities?
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric63M For This Useful Post:
wma1950 (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 AM

Have you checked the fuel pressure with a guage or just checked that it squirts out fuel? Pressure should be around 40 psi. Also, pull the vacumn line off the regulator and check to see if there's any fuel leaking thru the regulator into the vacum line. '93's are pretty simple compared to '96's, but you still need to scan it before just throwing parts at it. And, yeah, it's probably the opti, but those are expensive now, so you need to check other things first. Also, if it is the opti, stay with AC/Delco...the others are junk.
The Following User Says Thank You to ssimpala For This Useful Post:
wma1950 (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM

Thanks.

No It doesn't have the capability to get any info out of the Control box. someone cut out the wires to the hookup. why they did that I have no idea. the only wires left on the plugin are for the fuel pump. As far as the plugs go i didn't ck them because it ran when I first tried it but was a little rough. but since you said that about opti I am going to change them out tomorrow. I have been busy on some other stuff and haven't had a chance to do anything to it.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 PM

No i didn't put a gauge on it just cked to see if i had pressure, I don't think it had anywhere near 40psi cause it only sprayed up about 7 or 8 inches high and it was just a squirt and that was all of it. there was no fuel leaking thru the vac line cause taking it off was the only way it would even try to start. I am going to get back on it tomorrow, starting with dropping fuel tank and ck screen on pump and go forward from there. I would love to find the person who cut the wiring out so you can't hook up to it. I really think I would have to knock his or her stupid butt out.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 PM

Last journal entry: Getting all the parts together for my LTX build
Last photo:

I'd check the fuel pressure with a gauge, if its sitting at 39.5psi or about there it should be fine.

Spark plugs never hurt and at least yours isn't in a camaro (thats a whole nightmare doing plugs), at least read them and see what they are saying.

While your changing, i'd check for spark at the plugs (before and after it dies) and let that be your true check there. If there's nothing take the ICM and Coil and get them tested, if they pass. Check the wiring harness going into the opti and make sure its in good shape (they're only 30 dollars for a new one). Changing the opti on the LT1 sucks, hope that it isn't your issue. Hope its something simple and not the opti for you.

On a side note, if it is the opti, you might be able to swap to the vented unit (helps a lot of the opti issues) while putting one in. I would at least highly recommend this to anyone thats replacing theirs.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.