LT1 questions - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A couple of years ago there was a guy in Tennessee who was parting out a bunch of LT1 & L99 Caprices on Ebay. I don't remember his user name, but he was in a small town, might have been Halls. I remember there were two towns with the same name according to Mapquest, but both were in western TN. Might dig around and see if you can find him and see if he has anything you could use.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 05:15 PM

We've found a harness w/ computer for 400 bucks. Its out of a 94 formula. Will this work and is the price right?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350_88S10
We've found a harness w/ computer for 400 bucks. Its out of a 94 formula. Will this work and is the price right?
Yeah but why? Unless you have to smog the car it's easier and cheaper to put a GMPP car intake on it. Take off the front distributor, plug it's hole, remove the oil pump drive and retainer and stick a conventional distributor in the std Chevy location and be done with it. All this is a kit from GMPP that costs about 400 bucks, also, but that's it, put it together and go. You'll skip the wiring hassels, sensors that don't work or are missing. Routing wire bundles where the exhaust system isn't. Putting in a high pressure fuel system. All that! And this is coming to you from a guy that builds swaps in a SMOG state where I have to hit emissions requirements so I'm familiar with these EFI swaps. For anyone who doesn't do this regularly, EFI can become a project unto itself.

Bogie
Old 05-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Some good and some mis-information here. I won't address it but will tell you this. I have a '95 LT1 stroker that puts out 400/450 HP & TQ at the rear wheels with a mild, streetable cam. With 3.07 gears, 3000 converter and in a 3400# car, it's capable of over 28 mpg. If your buddy thinks he can get anywhere near that type of efficiency by screwing up his LT1 with a carb and conventional distributor, then he should go for it. I don't give a *******, I ain't buying his gas.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 AM

I don't know if you guys already know about it, but you should try looking up Hybridz.org. There are a real bunch of knowledgeable and experianced guys on there, and I'm sure they will be able to help you. I was going to put a LT1/T-56 into a 280zx, but got rid of the 280zx. I bought a retired cop car, and used everything.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:32 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350_88S10
Try to stick to the same year as your engine/tranny. 92-93 were MAP engines with PROM chip memory, 94-95 started the MAF years and flash memory. 96 started OBD2. 97 was basically a carryover so most of that should interchange. Then, within those years you had different plugs on the tranny, different knock sensor calibrations, O2 sensor configurations, etc. I have a 96 LT1 and thought about converting it to a 94-95 OBD1 computer because the tuning software is much cheaper. After reading about the swap and how you have to solder a resistor in, I decided to keep the OBD2.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.