Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   LT1 Z/28 ingtion modlue (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/lt1-z-28-ingtion-modlue-181718.html)

rachet ralph 07-27-2010 06:21 AM

LT1 Z/28 ingtion modlue

3 Attachment(s)
i just got a 1995 Z/28 with a LT1 an guy thought needed a opti spark dist. but day i got it home it started! but when engine got to running temp it cut off an had no spark from coil! but doing system check has pluse from opti spark dirt. so i feel not dist! an it's ingtion modlue but the dam thing $185.00 am local salvage yards want $75.00 to $80.00 for it, an being electric part there as is! so has anyone ever tried to use a module from early type HEI with vacum advance, being there both a 4 wire system, i have schematic for the opti spark system, anyone have one from early HEI see if maybe can wire an early type in as i feel both get there pluse from dist. an has anyone ever tried this?

LATECH 08-08-2010 07:05 PM

some of the newer s 10 pickups use a module that will plug in but I dont think I would go that route better to go to GM and buy a good one. A lot of aftermarket stuff in electronic parts are inferior and dont last if they even work. How much is your time worth.car looks pretty nice.If it were mine I would buy the new gm part if you are sure.

S10 Racer 08-12-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachet ralph
i just got a 1995 Z/28 with a LT1 an guy thought needed a opti spark dist. but day i got it home it started! but when engine got to running temp it cut off an had no spark from coil! but doing system check has pluse from opti spark dirt. so i feel not dist! an it's ingtion modlue but the dam thing $185.00 am local salvage yards want $75.00 to $80.00 for it, an being electric part there as is! so has anyone ever tried to use a module from early type HEI with vacum advance, being there both a 4 wire system, i have schematic for the opti spark system, anyone have one from early HEI see if maybe can wire an early type in as i feel both get there pluse from dist. an has anyone ever tried this?

One thing to look for. I had a 95 caddy and had a tune up done at a local garage. They changed the plugs, coil & cap. It ran good going home (about 12 miles) and died in the driveway. I called them and they came out and replaced the ignition module. Ran fine for about a day. Burnt the ignition module out again. This happened 3 times, almost to the point that the auto parts store was not going to keep replacing the module. I decided something else was wrong. After removing the coil cover I found that when the garage replaced the coil, they did not re-install the grounding strap from the wire harness to the coil base. After I fixed that, it ran great with no more problems until the wife hit two deer with it and totalled it out.