LT4 Cam Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

LT4 Cam Question

Will this cam work on my boat? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502586/

The engine is a block from a 93' K1500 with 062 Vortec Heads. I'm curious if it will fit the engine and how well it would do in a boat? I'm not really sure at what duration "Water Reversion" becomes a concern.

From everything that I have read this is the cam that is currently in the boat http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-14097395/ I used the cam that was in the stock 305 in my 383 which is currently in the boat but it's just not up to snuff. I really want more performance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 05:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Reversion becomes an issue with too much cam overlap (intake and exhaust valves open at the same time). Duration plays into overlap so generally speaking, the longer the duration of cam the higher the degree of overlap.

Now as far as how MUCH overlap will cause reversion, I cannot answer.
My experience is with my Olds 455 powered jet boat and the generic Comp Cams 'Jet Boat Cam' that everyone seems to use created issues for my particular application so I had my builder order up a custom cam with less duration/overlap but higher lift. Now my boat is way more powerful across the usable power band (idle to 5000 RPM), no reversion issues and I no longer have that obnoxious lumpy idle that the kids seem to love and caused my reversion issues.

Not sure what the specs are on that LT4 cam but from what I recall, it's not a crazy big cam so the overlap probably isn't obnoxious either.
Just my .02
Elm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.