Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Lunati cam and 305 sbc questions in a Frankenstein
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRoyaltyInMyChevy
what do you mean exactly by putting them "end to end", because if your trying to make a v16 engine i think that would be WAY ABOVE THE SKILL LEVEL OF MOST OF THE PEOPLE HERE,
This may be above the skill level of most people here. I have an idea on how I can get them to run together and use as a driver. I’m not trying to do a tractor pull, or race a quarter mile… I’m doing it because I don’t think I’ve seen a 2 engine car driving around my neighborhood recently, and I think this car would be noticed.

Quote:
You would need to weld the cranks to make one, the cam to make one, connect the water galleys so the water pump on the front engine will flow through both, and connect the oil galleys so you can use the oil pump on the back one to flow through both.
I think you may be over-engineering the dual engine set-up. To keep the two engines square to each other, I would create a cradle to rigidly mount the two engines and then use motor mounts from the cradle to the frame. To join the cranks, I would use 2 sprockets (one on the back of the front engine, and one on the front of the back engine) and connect them with a double roller chain. To keep the strain on the chain to a minimum, I would have the rear engine 315 degrees off of the front engine, so every cylinder would have its own firing time / sequence. This minimizes one engine from being the “drive” engine and the other the “driven” engine.

Since the cam shafts are connected via a timing chain to the crankshaft, then they are also in sequence with the proper firing order. As for pumps (oil and water), I don’t believe a single stock pump would have enough head pressure to operate both engines, but keeping them separate would still keep the pumps flowing like normal. For both engines to share a radiator, The water pumps would be connected in parallel with the ports connected like the old Packard Siamese engines of around 1913 (check Jay Leno’s garage 1913 Packard if you are not sure of Siamese cylinder engine).

Quote:
And to make it work good you need to make everything in the engines the same like bore, heads, cam, intake, and also figure out a way to make the distributor on the back run 16 plug wires lol, because it wouldn't be as even i would think with two.
sooo, I don't know what your trying to do, but maybe I'm just the one with the Frankenstein mind!
Well, the engines are both 305 (same bore and stroke), the 2 cams (as mentioned in the original message) are the lunati 60101 so the valve lift and duration is the same for timing. Manifold vacuum would be tied together to commonize the intake. All that is left is the distributor. I think 2 stock HEI distributors would be fine and both would advance at the same rate with common manifold vacuum… so it should be okay for street driving.

None of this seems like rocket science, just brain surgery. I could be wrong on a lot of this, but I think for a “conversation piece driver vehicle” that sucks down gas, I should be able to drive this and have it work relatively well.

Quote:
and if anyone has experience with doing this feel free to correct any of my ideas on how this would actually bed done
I agree… if anyone has experience with doing this feel free to correct any of my ideas on how this would actually bed done.