Lunati Vs. Comp Cams - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Lunati Vs. Comp Cams

Well its time to pick a cam and with all of the stories of wiped lobes. which one would you go with

Comp Cams
XE262
Duration @ 0.006" 262 / 270 Duration @ 0.050" 218 / 224
Max Lift w/ 1.5RR 462 / .469 Lobe Separation 110 Intake Centerline 106

Vs.

Lunati Voodoo
Advertised Duration IN/EX: 262/268
Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 219/227
Gross Valve Lift IN/EX: .468"/.489"
LSA / ICL: 112/108

The rest of the setup is
Vortec Heads upgrade by scoggin and dickey for 550 lift
670 holley street avenger carb
edelbrock rpm air gap intake
9.5 compression

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 03:25 PM
big Q

Last photo:

neither

go with isky or crane cam
Old 07-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Your main question is about wiped lobes.

99% of lobe failures are the fault of the engine assembler and the break-in guy.

Oil type, wiping the lobes while cranking, failure to start immediately, poor oil, no additive, improper rpm technique, maybe ill made lifters, and...... NOT USING BREAK-IN SPRINGS. You should never have over 200 lb for break-in.

You might be suprised to learn that 2 manufacturers make almost all the cam blanks.

I prefer CompCams.

Pick your brand loyalty and let them pick your cam grind. If you don't trust their knowledge, you should be shopping somewhere else.

www.readershotrods.com
Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 AM

Having run, and dynoing both cams in similar engines. The Lunati listed will make slightly more power, and have a slightly wider power band. Probably not enough to notice in you seat, but maybe. Although if memory serves, the Lunati had a little better vacuum also, which is good on the street.

As far as "wiped out" lobes, we to fought this problem for a while, probably 8-10 cams in a 2 month period. Comp Cams finally cam though with the problem and solution. I believe if you search Comps web site they have even posted an article on there about it. Basically what the problem lately has been the oil. The EPA has made the oil companies remove some key ingredients such as sulfur, zinc, ash, and I'm not sure what all else. That aided alot in breaking in cams shafts. Simple solution is to run a diesel grade oil such as Shell Rotella, or Chevrons Delo 400, or any good Racing oil. They list several oils on their web site I'm told. In addition to this we also add a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer (NON synthetic). Since doing this the problem has, well,,, we haven't had a problem since. Spring pressure does have an effect but we are now able to break them in with pressures of 110-115 seat and 300-310 open.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:47 AM

I love my XE262 with similar combo
Old 07-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Your main question is about wiped lobes.

99% of lobe failures are the fault of the engine assembler and the break-in guy.

Oil type, wiping the lobes while cranking, failure to start immediately, poor oil, no additive, improper rpm technique, maybe ill made lifters, and...... NOT USING BREAK-IN SPRINGS. You should never have over 200 lb for break-in.

You might be suprised to learn that 2 manufacturers make almost all the cam blanks.

I prefer CompCams.

Pick your brand loyalty and let them pick your cam grind. If you don't trust their knowledge, you should be shopping somewhere else.

www.readershotrods.com

I know Crane used to make Lunati's cam cores.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:42 AM

check out lazar cams in memphis. see there web page and talk to bill. my good friend steve will gring a cam to perfection and has done so for over 20 years.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

cam

Along with all the good info you have gotten so far,,

There was also a period of time where the lifters were junk... it's a long story and has been discussed in depth here before... I check all the crowns on every lifter i install... It needs to be in the .0020" range... I have found some that are as little as .0005" i will not even put them in an engine...

In the last year or so all the lifters i have checked are good....So it seams the problem has been fixed...but i still check evey one.

So, changing the oil package,bad lifters both at the same time have led to some additional cam failures... Something else that has happened is the internet... 5 or 8 years ago if you distroyed a cam, you and your buddies were the only ones that ever knew about it, now with the net thousands of people can read about your issues....It kind of magnifies the problems...But you will never hear how the guy cranked through 2 batterys, or like the other day here on this site someone was told to change the lash to break-in the cam, then set the last correct,,,, It's all kinds of voodoo like that.... that will trash out cams....

I have used at least 40 comp cams over the years and never had one go flat... I had one lunati fail, but it was my fault and not the cams, and i had one White box cam fail, that was due to the bad lifter deal....

95% of the failures are due to the person installing the cam or the person starting the engine for the first time IMO.... get this right and it will be clear sailing for you....IMO

Keith

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.