Lungs hurt after spraying car !!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I don't believe there is any myth at all, they ARE odorless from what I understand. The trick is, you don't inhale ONLY the isos, you inhale solvents and such WITH isos coming along for the ride.

So you WILL smell something when you are inhaling the Isos, just not the isos themselves. This is how I understand it at least.

I'm with crash, go see a doctor!

Brian
I am no expert on these matters, but I think they can be detected by smell at concentrations over the exposure limit. So while they DO smell, once you can, it's too late, and you have been exposed to an unsafe level.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
once you smell 'paint' then the carbon filters are used up..
If i remeber right, Carbon filters are only good for 8 hours or so depending on how humid it is and how thick of a fog you have in your shop. Its not just the paint and clear that will use it up, but also the water from humidity in the air will be absorbed into the filter.

But if your lungs are hurting its best to go have it checked out asap.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Do NOT play around and wait it out..GO GET CHECKED!!!!.

The damages from inhaling chemicals can feel like it went away,but sooner than later have some serious problems effecting you're health...or even life...

I personaly knew a guy in North East Md whp painted ALOT cars in a shop he built back in the early 90's,he didn't use the right filters for the paints,went cheap on it..later discovered he had serious nerve damage and ended up on disability and his health went downhill FAST and passed away in 98 of complications,this stuff did brain damage and nervous system damage.

Even if you're ok,it aint worth the chance you're NOT OK...be safe rather than sorry just because you didn't feel like going to see a doc......
Old 09-20-2010, 01:58 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Doctor.. I concur Doctor... go get it checked out by a real Doctor ASAP! we're pretty good a fixin' cars but I wouldn't trust too many of us with a medical device let alone a proper diagnosis (self included!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
Do NOT play around and wait it out..GO GET CHECKED!!!!.

The damages from inhaling chemicals can feel like it went away,but sooner than later have some serious problems effecting you're health...or even life...

I personaly knew a guy in North East Md whp painted ALOT cars in a shop he built back in the early 90's,he didn't use the right filters for the paints,went cheap on it..later discovered he had serious nerve damage and ended up on disability and his health went downhill FAST and passed away in 98 of complications,this stuff did brain damage and nervous system damage.

Even if you're ok,it aint worth the chance you're NOT OK...be safe rather than sorry just because you didn't feel like going to see a doc......
Old 09-20-2010, 02:41 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

don't worry , you'll be ok .. all a doctor will do is say don't do it again or get a better mask etc. etc ..

doctors are way over rated , besides you said you already have common sence and that's not common.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Go see a doctor , now ! I painted one coat of paint with the wrong cartridges that a buddy gave me and I was alergic to any aerosol (even hairspray) for 15 years afterwards . This paining business is serious business . Let us know what the doctor says . You may need to call the poison control center . I'd bring the MSDS sheets with me to the doctor, also
Old 09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymike
Man, this is the stuff that scares the whole crap out of me when I keep thinking of doing my own paint.

Good luck man.
I agree. I hope it all turns out well.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:11 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauces62
I used the one the guy at auto industrial said to. Mask is 3M 7503 and the filters are 3M 6001 NIOSH
I used a pcl sealer then a matrix white base followed by a wet pearl in clear binder the 3 coats of euro glass clear. Im pretty sure it was the clear. when i coughed i could taste it faintly
It's possible that after doing all that spraying, using the same filters, the filter became saturated. Be sure next time to use some fresh filters after so many hours of spraying. It's hard to tell after how long to replace them, but the package says something like every 8 hours is saturated areas. Ever 40 hours in a low saturated areas. Don't quote me. Seems like you would've fallen in the high saturation category for filter replacement.

What little spraying I have done I make sure to do it with the garage door wide open. I used 5 rolls of screen material, $5 at Lowes, and some duct tape to cover the opening of the garage and to help keep bugs out. It possibly helps catch overspray as well. Seems to work well.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Charcoal filters will degrade when exposed to oxygen - period.

Thats why if you had a business, by law, you have to store your respirators in a sealed container when not in use. OSHA can fine up to 10k if they find a respirator laying out improperly.

I switched years ago to a supplied air system...after you add up all the costs for cartridge, and pre-filter replacements and given the superiority and SAFETY of having a dedicated air supply - its priceless

If you have to use a cartidge based respirator, a properly fitted full face design is something like 400-500x better protection than a 1/2 face model.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

charcoal fillers like 3-m are good for 40 hrs of use. Thats if you leave them in the open . Thats why they tell you to put them in a air tight container when not in use. Extends the life of mask
Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauces62
Ive used this mask before when I jammed my Cadillac and didnt have this problem.
Yep, found the problem. A used mask.

Gotta watch out for clears, some have additives that act like a magnet towards moisture. (ex. Your eyes, mouth, lungs)

After using a forced air flow full face mask over normal cartige masks, the difference is unbeatable. You get the cool fresh air across your face that cuts down on sweat in your eyes, prevents fog on your glasses and generally keeps you fume free if you have a good seal.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
More importantly, what kind of paint. Google the type of paint and MSDS to find what you may up against. Or look on the cans label.
You got that right, And there is supposed to be a MSDS sheet on all chemicals. Or as stated check the can. Go to the Doc also you never know just reading this post makes my eyes water and my throat is starting to hurt.

Cole
Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

Don't be afraid of spraying! Just be smart about it.

Your body absorbs isocyanates... but never can get rid of them. One day your throat or tongue will swell up. That means you can't take any more. I have had a few friends have this happen. Oe swithced to lacquer... and paints only classic cars. another bought a full suit, and still paints part time.

I have been painting cars since I was 15, in 1964... painting full time since '86.... an still haven't had "the reaction" yet. I DO use a remote air mask, so I am not trying to filter anything out of the air, because it's not even there. Why take a chance?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Years ago when I decided to do my own painting I invested in a Hobby Air pressurized fresh air system. Cost was about what I would spend on one inexpensive paint job (under $400) and was cheap insurance. Although it doesn't protect your skin it sure protects your lungs.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
That hobby air can be found at Autobodystore.com click here

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.