Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Lungs hurt after spraying car !!! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/lungs-hurt-after-spraying-car-184727.html)

Sauces62 09-20-2010 12:47 AM

Lungs hurt after spraying car !!!

Just painted my bothers car for him in my garage today.its a detached garage and garage door in both front and back of garage. After I was finished with final clear, I was a little short of beath and sore throat,and about 30 minutes after started weasing and lungs felt a little sore when I take a good size breath. Im not coughing up anything.Will this go away ? (Im a beginner at painting but have pretty good common sense so yes i wore a 3m mask(new filters put an exhaust fan and had a door cracked for movement. I did take my mask off when I left the garage and The fumes were pretty heavy.

Rambo_The_Dog 09-20-2010 01:05 AM

What Kind of a 3m mask did you wear?

Painting is nothing to mess around with and not using proper breathing equipment will kill you.

You might want to go to the ER if the conditions continue - isocyanates crystallize the bursa sacs in your lungs and can do permanant damage.

Good luck, I hope you didn't harm yourself trying to save a buck.

dinger 09-20-2010 01:08 AM

More importantly, what kind of paint. Google the type of paint and MSDS to find what you may up against. Or look on the cans label.

Sauces62 09-20-2010 01:11 AM

I used the one the guy at auto industrial said to. Mask is 3M 7503 and the filters are 3M 6001 NIOSH
I used a pcl sealer then a matrix white base followed by a wet pearl in clear binder the 3 coats of euro glass clear. Im pretty sure it was the clear. when i coughed i could taste it faintly

Sauces62 09-20-2010 01:16 AM

Ive used this mask before when I jammed my Cadillac and didnt have this problem.

BarryK 09-20-2010 05:48 AM

Most likely was the clear, as that is what clear will do, any clear.

First of all reading your post, cracking the door is not enough air flow to protect you, mask or no mask!
This stuff will get in your tear ducts, in your skin, this is why it important to have a paint suit on and a head sock as well as eye protection.

Open the stupid door, dirt does NOT come from floor, or air (except for bugs)
Dirt comes from YOU and the CAR.

I shot two coats of silver last weekend and then 4-5 coats of the blue ink coat with the 2.5 car garage door wide open and the exhaust fan on, two specks of trash on the whole car, (and a silver wrinkle in the one door jamb, duh, on my part)

Four coats of high solids clear with door up two feet from ground and the car is as clean as any 100,000 dollar paint booth will turn out.

Point is, there is no reason to kill yourself for the sake of dirt, two people died in about the last five or so years from Iso's and they both had the same thing in common, they were spraying truck bed liners, with poor ventilation.

No need to wake up dead for a paint job.

OneMoreTime 09-20-2010 06:36 AM

Key point is to have lots of air flow in the paint area..One cannot have too much air..

Sam

shine 09-20-2010 07:00 AM

if you can smell it............. your dead.

crashtech 09-20-2010 07:30 AM

You should go see a doctor. Don't paint anything until you find out what is wrong with you. Certain people are very sensitive to isocyanates, and sensitivity can be developed by exposure.

Don't play around with this. Get to a doctor, now!

Arrowhead 09-20-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shine
if you can smell it............. your dead.

I thought that was part of the problem - the isos don't smell and can get past most filters. You don't even know your breathing it. Right? Wrong?

stephen44 09-20-2010 10:48 AM

I think "odorless" is a myth - I think they have a sweet smell - but a lot of people cannot smell this and i think this is where the "odorless" myth comes from.

- Stephen

Hot Rod Mike 09-20-2010 11:10 AM

Also, check the fit of the mask. If you have any facial hair, I'm betting you will not get a proper fit. You can test the fit by putting on your mask, & then spraying some aerosol fragrance in the area of the mask - if you can smell it, your do not have a proper fit .

Good Luck,
Mike

chevymike 09-20-2010 11:15 AM

Man, this is the stuff that scares the whole crap out of me when I keep thinking of doing my own paint.

Good luck man.

MARTINSR 09-20-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen44
I think "odorless" is a myth - I think they have a sweet smell - but a lot of people cannot smell this and i think this is where the "odorless" myth comes from.

- Stephen

I don't believe there is any myth at all, they ARE odorless from what I understand. The trick is, you don't inhale ONLY the isos, you inhale solvents and such WITH isos coming along for the ride.

So you WILL smell something when you are inhaling the Isos, just not the isos themselves. This is how I understand it at least.

I'm with crash, go see a doctor!

Brian

matt167 09-20-2010 11:40 AM

once you smell 'paint' then the carbon filters are used up..