m-20, hOW MUCH hp WILL SHE TAKE - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

if built wright muncie's can handle a bbc no problem. my friend had a m-21 behind a gm zz572 720 hp version. untill he roled it over. check out this website. www.tbtrans.com. they'll have the parts to build your muncie wright

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

I have used an Autogear M22W behind a mild 454 in a 3500lb car. I drove the car hard and it held up quite well, was used on the street and at the track.

Last edited by turchiac; 04-14-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Pretty amazing that GM thought enough of the M-22 to put it behind LS-7, LS-6, and L-88 engines and WARRANTY them!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

Those guys at auto gear have their act together. Its good to hear positive experiences with our products.

The DNE street 5 speed has a really heavy geartrain and it makes for interesting high rpm shifts.

The Jerico will certainly shift faster than a Muncie, however if you have someone like Liberty modify the gearset, you can have a dog ring style set up thats right up there with a Jerico, and the aftermarket supercase with an iron midplate will support well into the 500hp range normally aspirated; and still be under the cost of a Jerico, with equal to greater longevity

The Toploader is the best shifting street trans by FAR. However; because of the reverse arrangement, you're limited to a 7/8ths inch countershaft pin, which limits how much abuse you can dish out. You can still get into the 500s but you have to have your combination sorted out better.

The T10 and Super T10 are great transmissions, but when the HP started to climb, it was left behind in GM circles for the stronger Muncie design. However, a lot of GM road racing cars were optioned with the T10 or even came with a T10 in the trunk, due to the abundance of gear ratios available in the T10.

Hope this clarifies some things for the newer guys. Im really glad there are people out there who stick with a manual and support people like us who continue to refine designs and bring new products to market.

Nate
Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Why did GM dump the Muncie and go to all BW?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

Practical answer? Muncies are expensive. My M22 is approx 1900, and you can get a T10 from a catalog store for a lot less

The end of the horsepower war meant that in 1974 (end of the Muncie 4spd as OEM equip) you could put a T10 behind a 230hp 350 and save a few bucks in the process. In an effort to crutch the cars, a lot of newer gear ratios popped up, things like almost 3.25:1 first gear, to get some mileage in 4th and still have moderate performance. The T10 had a zillion ratios already, while the muncie had 3 (m20, m21 and m22) which were for cars with rear axles from 3.55-4.10.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Rock Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
If you decide to loose the rock crusher you have now, and don't go with the B-W Super T-10, Look for a M-21 It's a good trans also.JMO I always had better luck with the B-W or Muncie trans myself. But have seen people run the dogs off with a Saginaw trans. Just never my case. JMO I passed on a M-22 last year wish i went ahead and got it now.

Cole
Hey Cole. The M-22 IS the "rock crusher". The M-20 is about the same strengh as an M-21 and neither will take a lot of 496 abuse. The Super t-10 is a little better. It depends on how much you're going to beat on it.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Pretty amazing that GM thought enough of the M-22 to put it behind LS-7, LS-6, and L-88 engines and WARRANTY them!
Hey Rockin daddy(cool name). Two words......little tires.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoy427
Hey Cole. The M-22 IS the "rock crusher". The M-20 is about the same strengh as an M-21 and neither will take a lot of 496 abuse. The Super t-10 is a little better. It depends on how much you're going to beat on it.
Dude, Cole knows which trans is which, besides this thread is over 6 months old. And it's your opinion the ST-10 is "a little better"- an opinion not shared by everyone.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
Those guys at auto gear have their act together. Its good to hear positive experiences with our products.

The DNE street 5 speed has a really heavy geartrain and it makes for interesting high rpm shifts.

The Jerico will certainly shift faster than a Muncie, however if you have someone like Liberty modify the gearset, you can have a dog ring style set up thats right up there with a Jerico, and the aftermarket supercase with an iron midplate will support well into the 500hp range normally aspirated; and still be under the cost of a Jerico, with equal to greater longevity

The Toploader is the best shifting street trans by FAR. However; because of the reverse arrangement, you're limited to a 7/8ths inch countershaft pin, which limits how much abuse you can dish out. You can still get into the 500s but you have to have your combination sorted out better.

The T10 and Super T10 are great transmissions, but when the HP started to climb, it was left behind in GM circles for the stronger Muncie design. However, a lot of GM road racing cars were optioned with the T10 or even came with a T10 in the trunk, due to the abundance of gear ratios available in the T10.

Hope this clarifies some things for the newer guys. Im really glad there are people out there who stick with a manual and support people like us who continue to refine designs and bring new products to market.

Nate
Hi Nate. I'm supprised I don't have any knowledge of Autogear. I've been racing (and breaking) an awful lot of sticks. (even broke a couple of Lencos) I have a blown big block 55 chevy backhalf car that I run on the street a bit. It is really hard to find a regular stick of any kind that will handle that kind of stomping. Its a bit of a pain, but I have a couple of torque tube, Doug Nash five speeds that have been very reliable for me. Both are set up as four speeds. I get parts service from G-Force or Liberty. You have to run the old syncro type to street it and you better have a clean release if you expect it to shift at rpm, but it can be done. Not a daily driver of course. I have a tko 600 in my chevelle. They suck. It's an ok trans if you don't want to power-shift it. I've had zero luck with Jerico. The new (red case) Richmond trans is rated at 600 ft. lb. but I'm not Donald Trump! I saw the new, "direct fit" Keisler five speed at Carlisle but I'm not impressed by its innards. They say it will shift but they didn't have a cutaway of their 600 unit so I could see it. The 400-500 trans looks good. Just not strong enough. Believe it or not, the best street trans I had was a first design Super T-10, about 1971 or so. I could run 11 flat on 8" tires in a 3600 lb Chevelle(same one) and never broke it. I put it in my Camaro, which had a 13" tire under it and was about 2600lbs. in 74 and ran 10.30s launching at insane rpm and it held up. Lee Weller at Westminster Speed said that I had better put in something stronger or I WOULD trash it. I bought my first Doug Nash trans and sold the Super. I'm puttin a nice 555 in the Chevelle and I'm still trying to decide what trans to run. If I had the money, it would probably be that 1200 ft lb six speed but that's dreamin. Probably go the "red case". If you have a recommendation I will gladly take it under advisement. Its gotta be up to at least 7000 rpm power shifts with a 295-65 drag radial and I'm gonna drive this one a lot. I have one of the last good Doug Nash Super T-10s with the hi-strength gearsets. It has less that 5000 street miles on it but I want the overdrive in the Chevelle. Hard to have it all and afford it.....but its fun to try. The Lenco street trans is nice ($$$$$$$$). Thats cheatin' anyhow. I still like rowin' the gears better than yanking handles. Tom.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Dude, Cole knows which trans is which, besides this thread is over 6 months old. And it's your opinion the ST-10 is "a little better"- an opinion not shared by everyone.
Sorry Cole. I'm not good at picking up on dates on these sites. My sons got me doing this computer thing. How old are you? The guys who shared my opinon of the Muncie/Super t-10 had names like Larry Kopp, Ronnie Sox, Joe Monty (he's not as famous) Durham, Fast Eddie, etc. etc. I'm not talkin about the late model junk, I'm talkin about the early units. Racin in the late 60s early 70s. No rpm limiters. 8000+ rpm launches. The muncies all disintegrated. (20s 21s 22s). The first Super t-10s seemed to hold up a lot better. I realize that I'm racin in the past probably well before your time but thats what happens when you get older. I'm just tellin it like it happened. You know who Kris Karamazines is? OK. I'm not as old as him yet. I have a few clutch floaters from his fuel car that I made clocks from. Look neat in the shop. I don't know how he does it. 6+ gs when you hit the "loud pedal". No disrespect intended. You dont stop racin because you get old, you get old because you stop racin. At least thats what all us who are still alive say. :] :]
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Back when, there were A-833's, Muncies, T10, Ford toploarers. And in SS, none were stock anyway. Sox drove Fords, Chevy's, MOPAR's and all didn't have T-10's in them. The early cast iron T10's were notoriously weak in stock form. If you are talking about aftermarket T-10's, you're on your own. This was a discussion mainly on how much power a stock M20 Muncie can handle. GM went from the ST-10 to the Muncie behind their highest rated powerplants.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest65
Rebuilding my M-20 because she is getting pretty dran noisey.
Converted my 65 to a 4spd from a auto. 454 in her now, but plans
for a mild 496. Have scatter shield. How much will this M-20 take?
I am not going o be trying to get rubber in every gear all the time at all.
BUT..!! will want to loose some on take offs sometimes and maybe bang
2nd once in a while.
I know everything breaks, but want to stick with the 4spd.
Thanks in advance.
I've seen more than one stock 300 horse 327 scatter the guts of an M20 on the ground.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
WFO

Last photo:

More than one, even. Impressive...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.