Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - M & H Drag radials?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp246
I want to change the look of my truck. Right now, I have a set of 17 "Cragars with P225 60 R17 s on all four corners. The truck has been lowered about 3 inches using a DJM kit. I want to give the truck a traditional look with some rake as well as wide drag appearance on the rear. Coker has 16 X 10 traditional steel wheels that can handle the M & H Drag Radials. I'm wondering how realistic these would be for the street. This is strictly a go fast weekend toy. Will probably put less than 1000 mile a year on it. What else might you guys recommend.
There are 17" drag radials to fit the Cragars. Depending on what style they are, they might look OK. 17" drag radials w/any real width to them are =/< 45 aspect ratio; getting a tall sidewall on a 17" drag radial tire might not be possible (at least it wasn't a few years ago).

My opinion is you won't get much rake (low front/high rear I'm guessing, but years ago drag cars used a 'nose up' stance to help weight distrubution/traction because the tires were so poor) by using different sized tires with the same diameter wheel. And using radically different wheel diameters/tire aspect ratios to get rake can upset the front end geometry if taken to the extreme, anyway. Better to set up the suspension to give the "look", instead of doing it with wheel/tire sizes alone.

If "realistic for the street" means can you safely use drag radials (or any "drag" street tire) in all conditions, you need to know they will not have the wet weather manners of a normal street tire. The tread is designed for dry pavement traction, not pumping water to prevent hydroplaning. So using them on the street- in fair weather- will work. Once the skies open up, not so much. But as long as you are careful you should be OK.

Last edited by cobalt327; 04-06-2012 at 04:57 AM.