Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - M22 with Olds 403
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroadam73 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's an M22, it's noisy and allot of fun to drive lol. I read somewhere people used to beef up M21 with M22 internals? As for the rear gears i'm not sure but i know it was geared for launch, 3.73s are what i had in mind. The cars a daily driver for the summer, what makes it so bad for a daily? J/w

I checked ebay looking for the right parts and turned up allot, thanks. Joe, yeah I've got a set of 79' trans am brackets, and allot of other parts for one of those but i don't think any of it will bolt to this camaro except the mounts.
It's not all that bad, but the ratios are intended to keep a narrow powerband engine on the cam, not necessarily to use w/a broad powerband like the Muncie M20, for instance. It's noisy as you know. But as long as you have a steep enough rear gear there's no other reasons not to use it.

I remember driving my b-i-l's '68 Corvette w/427/M22. It was a chore to drive in traffic, the clutch had to be slipped a lot every time I took off from a stop. Once I was rolling it was OK. It would not have been a good set up for drag racing- the clutch was to hard to modulate between bogging and spinning. Hopefully YMMV.

Auto Gear will hopefully see this and fill you in on what can be done w/the transmission.