Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Maaco vs. At-Home Paint Job
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by kenseth17
The guy is giving you a good deal. Find his favorite frosty beverage and pick up a case before going there (don't let him drink any till the car is painted though) maybe it will drop to $300. Shops charge $45.00/hr around here. What paint you go with depends on what you are expecting. If you want it to look good for 4 years or so, use the omni. If you want it to look better and last longer use the higher lines from ppg, dupont, r-m, sikkens, house of color. There are many good paint companys out there. From what I remember about the omni clear it looked decent but ran easy if you put it on a little heavy. This was when it first came out though. I haven't used it for years. You need as many coats of base as it takes to cover. Could be two, could be more depending on how it covers(spray till hiding). Sometimes you get a color that won't cover and you are spraying it forever. It usually takes me about a quart 1/2 of mixed paint to put a coat on an average sized vehicle. If he is using an hvlp gun it will go further, but being a retired guy, he is probably using a conventional gun. You have to look at the mixing ratio and find out how much paint you will have when the paint is mixed with the reducer. If you run out it is a pain going to get more mixed. If you buy a whole gallon of base you should have more then enough and have left over for anything you would have to touchup in the future, reds are the most expensive and if it has pearl in it gets even higher. I would get a gallon of clear and would put on three coats of clear for wetsanding and buffing. Evercoat makes good fillers, as well as many others. The best primer is a urethane primer that has a hardener with it. If you only have 2 small dents to fill I would buy a quart of plastic filler, you can always pick up more if needed. Go to autocolorlibrary.com to get an idea of prices and ppg's website is ppg.com. Click on auto refinish when you get there. You could also look into paintless dent repair if the two dents are small and having it detailed, but at the price the guy is giving you, i think I would go the painting route, but you could get an estimate and compare prices.
Thanks again.All of that info really helps.I want the paint to look good for as long as possible.At least another 5 years so it would look good if the truck lasts that long when I go trade it.I know that PPG doesn't match factory auto colors,but if I chose a certain shade of red,for example,"Sunfire Red",and Robert ran out of it in the process of painting,could I go buy another gallon of "Sunfire Red",him mix it,spray it,etc. the same,and it match?I gave all of that as an example,just in case.I think that a gallon should do it though .There's a paint store in Jackson and that is where I'll get all of my supplies.What are some of the higher lines of PPG Paint?I understand that the higher lines will last longer and look better,which is what I want.I would like to keep material costs below $400 if possible.I don't think that 1 gallon of primer and 1 gallon of paint and clear would cost over that lol.But who knows...

Thanks again.I'll check out those links and start to get me a price list together.Keep the idears coming .

Nightrain

Here's the paint that I'm looking at right now.It's the Bright Red Solid.I see that it's $210 a gallon,but if it will last,it would be worth it.Is that a good line to go with?

Nightrain

Last edited by nightrain_rod; 01-11-2004 at 09:31 PM.