Maaco vs. At-Home Paint Job - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What Should I Do For A Paint Job?
Maaco Paint Job 35 19.23%
At-Home Paint Job 147 80.77%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

quote:

Troy... You are definately right. The key is that it has got to have a sound surface to adhere to. Peeling clear coat is not one, and neither is the color coat below it

For sure you can't paint over peeling clear.

The top coats are no better than what is under them.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2004, 01:20 AM

Last photo:

I can't see why you couldn't spray a clear over the polyurethane. But it was always my understanding that the polyurethane paints were tougher then the urethanes. At least thats what I think I remember from the many moons ago I had to study all that stuff. Yes it should have good gloss, You don't have to use a clear but I think you can if you want for a deeper look and more protection from fading. But if you are going to be putting a clear over it you might want to check the price of getting it in a basecoat compared to the polyurethane. The basecoat will dry quicker for less dirt specks, be easier to spray even if its metallic, a lot easier to work with. If you get a little mistake in the basecoat you can wait a while and wetsand it out , shoot on a little more base and your good to go. With the polyurethane, you will have to wait awhile before you can do this.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Re: maaco or my-self?

Quote:
Originally posted by jimos67rocks
the way i look at it if you know someone that can paint and you want to use a paint booth-- rent one. there is always a shop around that will let you rent it.
Are you sure? I used to do that but the shops around town here in B'field all shut their doors to that thanks to the EPA and CARB. They are now held responsible for every drip of paint that is sprayed in their booth and can be held criminally liable if a joker violates a tree hugger law, which is easy to do nowadays in view of Algore's global warming catastrophe unfolding before our very eyes as we speak. Oh save me, save me!!!! I don't wan't to burn up or drown in the rising sea . . . HELP ME, Al, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Good info here. Always do a search on this board before asking a question. There is likely a very good answer available.

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...ry+paint+booth

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...ry+paint+booth

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 01-17-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

I live in Wisconsin. I would hate to live by California's laws which are so regulated. If he is painting this at home, it isn't legal either. We don't even have to have our car emission tested. I thought all the tree huggers were right about the global warming after last couple of years being very mild winters, but this week we got dumped with snow, and suppose to get very cold in the next few days. Ohh how I've missed shoveling snow and scraping winshields while freezing my arse off. This state is so much fun, I think we are the 2nd or 3rd highest taxed state also.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Thanks again fellas.So the only reason that it wouldn't be a good idea to spray clear over the polyurethane is because it takes it longer to dry?I'll probably just stick with what I picked out,pick up some clear,and go.By looking at his paint facility,I don't think that dust and dirt is going to be a problem.I even thought of something else over the weekend...If I have it painted over the summer while I'm out of school,I can give him a hand and maybe learn something about painting a vehicle and maybe get a little cheaper price .At least I would learn something.

I'll let him worry about the extra foreign particles that get in the polyurethane while it's drying .

Nightrain
Old 01-17-2004, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

Go here http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/p-137.pdf It will give you information on using the delstar, and tell you what clears you can use. The main reason I use basecoat painting at home is for the ease of them and the fast dry time, but you can do it your way also. Keep the paint area as clean as you can and drain the compressor before starting. Best of luck. We want pics when you are done.

I used the 2020 clear on a car once (1968 cougar 390) and was impressed with it. I saw somewhere that ppg was phasing it out. I hope not.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by kenseth17
Go here http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/p-137.pdf It will give you information on using the delstar, and tell you what clears you can use. The main reason I use basecoat painting at home is for the ease of them and the fast dry time, but you can do it your way also. Keep the paint area as clean as you can and drain the compressor before starting. Best of luck. We want pics when you are done.

I used the 2020 clear on a car once (1968 cougar 390) and was impressed with it. I saw somewhere that ppg was phasing it out. I hope not.
Thanks again.So just basically follow those instructions at that link and we should be fine?Looks like I'll have to do it in the middle of summer when the temp doesn't usually go below 80* at night,just to be safe.He doesn't have a heat room.I guess a couple of heat lamps would be okay though .I just hope that the products that I buy are going to be high quality and worth the money.That's why I started out liking PPG.That may change before it's over,but I hope that I'm not dissapointed by choosing their products.I think that I'll get a gallon of the paint with 2 extra quarts and the same for the clear.We don't need to run out,whatever we do.If it has to be mixed,it will never be the same again.I can always take the extra back if the seal wasn't broken.I don't know though..I might want to hold onto it for future use.

Thanks again.

Nightrain
Old 01-17-2004, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

You should be fine with a gallon of each on a small vehicle like the ranger. Expecially with the color coat, because a gallon of it mixed with your reducer and hardener will give you almost 2 gallons sprayable, way more then enough. I guess it will take around just over a gallon to put on three coats, and even less then this if it looks good after two coats. The polyurethane should cover well. Some basecoats can be pretty transparent in some colors, but I think the polyurethane you choose will cover quick. I don't think you will be dissappointed with ppg. Just the price when you get into certain colors and pearls. But the same is also true of the other paints like dupont and sikkens is really pricey. If you need to feel better when you go to get your clear get the price on some of the color changing paints like harlequin. I asked my paint supplier once just to see and just about fell over.

Last edited by kenseth17; 01-17-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Thanks again.I'll probably just get a gallon and an extra quart then of each.Of course,after we thin it,it's going to last longer anyway.So I should be able to get by with a gallon of clear?How long should he wait after he finishes spraying the final coat until he buffs it out?

One more time just to make sure,if he hits the original paint with 300,320,or 400,will we need to use any primer except for the places with dents?

Nightrain
Old 01-17-2004, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

As long as there is no deep scratches or chips that wont feather and that paint as adhearing well so it doesn't have to be stripped, you should only need primer on metal or areas with bodywork to fill scratches and get the area straight. Clear can be buffed out the next day or two. Some people wait longer, but i find it easier to buff out wetsanding scratches will the paint isn't cured really hard. Check the tech sheet for the clear you choose.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Alrighty,thanks again.If in doubt,would it hurt to hit the whole truck with a coat or two of the primer?

Okay,now for the biggie...Once the truck is painted,buffed out,and leaves to get out into the real world and it's elements,what is the BEST way possible to take care of the new paint job?I was thinking a weekly run through the car wash,monthly wax,and get the salt off of it as quickly as possible if I ever have that problem.Also,keep it out of the sun as much as possible .

What's the best automotive wax to use that protects best against the elements?

Nightrain
Old 01-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Don't wax your new finish for 60 days to be safe. It still has solvents that leave the paint and if you wax it will trap em and can dull the surface. Keep it clean and washed, wax often, and don't use car washes with the big brushes you run through that pick all the dirt off the car before you and scratch your paint. Just take decent care of it and it should last a long time. Its always a good idea to use one of the powerwash carwash places, and get under rockers, in wheelwells, the undercarriage, any places where mud and junk can build up and start rot in the future. Don't have any recommendations on wax. Mothers is popular.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Alrighty.In that 60-day period after it's painted,I can still wash it,right?Oh believe me,I will NEVER use one of those washes with the brushes.All of the ones in town only use water.There's one on the lake that has the most power that I've ever seen for a car wash.It rocks the car as it's going through it's cycle lol.Yeah,I like the ones with the powerbrushes also.You can get alot of those hard-to-reach places that some automatic washes can't get.The undercarriage wash in some of those automatic washes is a saint though .

Nightrain
Old 01-17-2004, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

It wouldn't hurt to prime it, but really not needed if the finish on it is adhearing well. Just add to your material bill. Sometimes shooting a sealer before spraying the color is a good idea. In fact you can use some primers as a sealer, they are just reduced more.

Yes you can wash it. Just dry it afterwards to prevent waterspotting.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Alrighty.Thanks again.Usually,what does a gallon of PPG's Primer cost?

So,here's my current material list:

Primer (Not Sure How Much At This Point)
PPG DAR Acrylic Enamel Paint (1 Gallon)
Proper Reducer & Hardener For Paint
PPG 2020 Clear (1 Gallon)
Proper Reducer & Hardener For Clear

So should I add sealer to this list?If so,what kind?

Nightrain

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.