Maaco vs. At-Home Paint Job - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What Should I Do For A Paint Job?
Maaco Paint Job 35 19.23%
At-Home Paint Job 147 80.77%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 04:33 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mad... You are right, but a $2000 job is unusual for MAACO. I have worked with several people that had worked at MAACO. The problem with them is that most of them have gotten the "Good Enough" mentality from working there. When the majority of the work that comes in there is the "$300 blow it on, blow it out" stuff, they get complacent. The bad habits are hard to loose. When they get something that is different, it is hard for them to see the difference. Since they get paid the same for doing crappy work, why would they do better.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2005, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Do It Yourself

Learn how to do it yourself. Learning is the great part of life.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:24 PM

paint

When you said learn to paint it your self, that was my view on it. Not only will you probably save some money but you will learn something that most people are scared to death to try. Thats what I did. I'm an old man on pension, building a street rod and when it came time for the paint I realised I couldn't afford the 4-5-or 6000 dollars the painters wanted. Now before any painters here take offense I want say that I don't say that you are not worth it. I just couldn't afford it. So I did it myself. After much reading and picking the brains of talented people I tore into it. /The feeling of accomplishment and gratification is awesome. Plus the people that see it can't believe that a person that has never done this before could do it that good..Go for it and reap the benefits.....JMHO GlennK
Old 12-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Lightbulb Added to Hotrodders Knowledge Base

This discussion has been added to the Body - Exterior Discussions category of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base.

--For the main page of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For more information on the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For information on becoming a Hotrodders Knowledge Base Editor, click here.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:05 PM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:

Painting in the Winter

I'm committed to painting my new chassis myself....but it's too cold around middle Tennessee and my garage has no heat. Is there a safe way to heat a garage sufficiently to paint? I take it that my kerosene heater is out....
Old 12-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Frmly sc*ot.

Reality Check

I'm not trying to bust your bubble, or anything, for my own entertainment, but I am afraid I'll have to be the one to tell you the truth.
I don't care how much reading, or preparation you do, There aint no way the paint job will turn out to your satisfaction if you or your friend does it.
I had the same pipe dream a long time ago when I painted my car with acrylic lacquer in my back yard after I thought I did plenty of research. But looking back at it now,I must have been smoking crystal meth or crack in that pipe to think it was going to turn out like a show car-and that was with acrylic lacquer which could be sanded and buffed out easily.
It takes practice, practice, and a lot of ...practice to get the feel for it to lay out a smooth finish without runs , or orange peel .
KEEP US POSTED ON THE RESULT!
If I'm wrong, I'll eat my own words .
Old 12-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
Scrot, I have to tell you, I have seen MANY very nice paint jobs done by newbes. It usually takes them much longer but it can be done.

Besides Joe is talking about a chassis I don't think that is a pipe dream at all.

Joe, yes you can use a kerosene heater, just NOT while you are painting. Run the heater with your frame in there a good long time until the metal is up to 70 or so and then turn the heater off and shoot. After painting and the fumes have cleared out fire it up again to keep it warm a few hours.

By the way how do you plan on painting it?
I suggest an epoxy primer/sealer and then a SS urethane. The primer will be non-sanding. You just prime it, paint it and you are done.

Brian
Old 12-04-2005, 09:48 PM

Attitude

Scrot; It's the attitude you have that makes people second guess themselves. Just look at my avatar, I never did this before. There is the proof that you are wrong. It took me over a year to get it done but I did it and I'm damn proud of it. Quit throwing wet blankets and discouraging everyone that thinks they might be able to do it themselves....My 02 c.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:02 PM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:

Winter Paint

Thanks Brian....I'm using a Dupont Epoxy primer with a Dupon "Nason" Urethane top coat. Already put coat of primer on one side. Weather turned cold before I could get the chassis flipped....I'll take you up on your idea of pre-heating the garage.

As for the paint job so far, so good, no runs, no bubbles, no orange peel.....
Old 12-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Retired Super Trooper

Last journal entry: The Uncommon Street Rod - Photoshoot
Last photo:

Retired Super Trooper

OK, I guess I have add my 2 cents worth: I recently had my '51 Willy's Pick-up (check out my journal) painted by my local Maaco body shop. I am nothing but thrilled with the outcome of the job. There was really 2 big reasons why I had Maaco do the job. First, I don't have either the expertise or the facility to properly paint a vehicle. I did visit a couple of body shops in my area and asked them for an estimate to paint my vehicle. I should tell you, that I got the body work as smooth as my ability and tool supply would allow. Most of the bodyshops came in with prices that would rival the national debt. The Service Manager from Maaco came out to my house, we talked about what I would be using the truck for (fun truck - not afraid to drive it), what my budget was, what color and type of paint would be used, the amount of body work still needed, etc. We agreed on a price which was well within my budget for body and paint work. I was able to see what kind of work his shop produced and I was impressed with what I saw. I delivered the body, bed, fenders, etc to the Maaco shop and 3 weeks later, It was ready to come home. Once I got the vehicle reassembled and on the road, Jason (the Maaco S/M) told me to bring it back for final detailing and color sanding. Like I said, I was thrilled with the outcome. That does a number of things; gives Maaco good word of mouth advertising, and he'll receive my repeat business. While I may be the exception to the rule, hey, I'm satisfied.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Listen To Glenkk!

Who give a damn if your first paint job isn't show quality. At least you'll have learned something and then next year you can sand that paint job and shoot it again. Also if you get a scratch it won't freak you at nearly as much, knowing that you can fix it yourself. People freak out when I tell them that I painted my truck, by my self, on my front lawn, without shelter of any kind. Oh, and another thing; Everyone who has dealt with body shops has gotten shoddy work done. Once they get your car, you are at their mercy. DO IT YOURSELF and do this as you pass the rip-off, body shops
Old 12-23-2005, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

You bet.

Tab , you hit it on the head. I've learned to MIG Weld, spray primmer, put in filler and hundreds other things, all because I wanted to try. The next thing is to paint my vehicle and you know what I'm going to do my best and to me no matter what.. It will look like a million bucks because I did it.

Old 12-24-2005, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

satexas 150: Exacamente seņior! That's what hotrodding is all about.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot
I'm not trying to bust your bubble, or anything, for my own entertainment, but I am afraid I'll have to be the one to tell you the truth.
I don't care how much reading, or preparation you do, There aint no way the paint job will turn out to your satisfaction if you or your friend does it.
I had the same pipe dream a long time ago when I painted my car with acrylic lacquer in my back yard after I thought I did plenty of research. But looking back at it now,I must have been smoking crystal meth or crack in that pipe to think it was going to turn out like a show car-and that was with acrylic lacquer which could be sanded and buffed out easily.
It takes practice, practice, and a lot of ...practice to get the feel for it to lay out a smooth finish without runs , or orange peel .
KEEP US POSTED ON THE RESULT!
If I'm wrong, I'll eat my own words .

you're wrong...perhaps YOU didn't get the results you envisioned but that doesn't mean everyone works like you...search & take a look at my 1st time experience, done with a cheap HF gun, in a barn
Old 01-30-2006, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

I wanna see that barn jobber.

Hey esty. Tried to find the Barn paint jobber. Where is that thing? I'm sure it looks great..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.