Maaco vs. At-Home Paint Job - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What Should I Do For A Paint Job?
Maaco Paint Job 35 19.23%
At-Home Paint Job 147 80.77%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 06:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez
Deadbodyman, is Don's (Inman?) tattoo parlor (1981) still in Augusta. Last I was down there at Ft Gordo 81ish I remember it used to get soo friggin hot we didn't have to do schitt. I'd roll down to your place but you'd have to drink all the beer. LOL
Hey deez,I think the tat shop is still there but there are so many,is it on Gordan hwy?The base keeps them in harleys and freash meat ,they do very well.I wish I didnt have to work when it gets hotttttttt..I'm a little out of practice but I can drink some beer,long as theres girls and pool tables Im in

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
girls and pool tables
Now I'm all jacked up, what was I gonna say?

Girls, and pool tables... Oh yea! I have a pool table, and my neighbors are lesbians. One time they had a lot of friends on it, and wrote on the felt with markers some rainbow art work, one thing says 'crowns up'. It's been like that now for about 5-6 years. LOL
Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

about the maaco paint job, i dont have a garage or paint booth, if i did all the body work myself and have maaco shoot the paint, then cut and buff which i can do in my yard, can that equal good results? of course considering i do my part correct.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

I Don't have a problem with Maaco if you get a good shop! Second what's the goal to paint a daily driver or the hot rod? If its a custom and you have a lot of time and money rape up in to it I would say no! I have talk with a couple of shop out my way and there ony give you 2-3 years on the paint job if you do zip to take care of it and maybe 5 year if you do take care of the paint!

Craig
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

I know this is a beat to death thread, but for my circumstances I'm prepping the car to the best of my abilities then taking the advice of DBM and heading to the local MACCO with my own supplies.
I figure I will be money ahead ,even having the car towed the 6 miles there and back.
And I have seen the work that comes out of this MACCO.
WAY better spray job than I'm capable of.
YMMV
Old 07-05-2011, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

for a weekend driver, jus tryin to figure out what stages does maaco skimp on, if its removing the trimming and other things that i can do my self, this might actually work out for me, i dont mind doing the work, its just i dont have a place to lay the paint my self.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I think it depends on what maaco you go to. The good ones have decent sprayers but their paint is junk. I wouldn't trust their preppers cause they're too used to cutting corners. I'd have it prepped by a professional, buy my own paint, and then take it to maaco. That is if I decided to take it there. I'd do some research on the maaco's in your area and examine finished work, he say she say, and where the hot rods are.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:07 AM
Nostalgic Racing Decals

Last photo:

My opinion

Many of the cheaper paint shops have something that is worth considering them for the paint job and that is the proper booth to do it.

The problem I have found with these shops is not so much the paint job many of the can do but with the quality of the paint they use.

I have a friend who worked for an economy paint shop for years and his only job was to come in at night once they had prepared a few cars for paint and my friend would shoot the cars.

This guy also paint customer cars on the side and his paint jobs look great.

He told me to purchase whatever paint brand I wanted and he would shoot it for me using their booth.
Having the right booth and guns and heat lamps and all the the other stuff can sometimes turn a so so painter into a very good painter!!!

In my opinion some of these shops do a decent job but I would not use their paint because it is an inexpensive paint that will last a much shorter time if exposed to the sun and weather. If your car is always kept in a garage and you are a real car nut keeping it waxed and clean the paint will last longer.

Jimbo

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.