Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maaco vs. At-Home Paint Job

222K views 127 replies 46 participants last post by  Jimbo17 
#1 ·
I've been stumped at the decision on what to do about my 1992 Ranger.The paint is faded and I'd really like it to shine better.More or less,it's heavily oxidated.After you wax it out,it'll look good for awhile,then it'll go back to the same state.Of course,this is a "hand-wax job" so to speak.I haven't used a buffer or consulted with a detail shop about a professional buffer job.I will probably spend my money on that first before I decide on what to do about a paint job.

Now,here's the thing..If it does come down to a paint job,should I do it myself or take it to Maaco?If I get a better paint job than their "economy" shot,would it be just like a professional job and last for years?What I'm looking for is a paint job that is equal to a new factory job or better.Can Maaco give me that and it actually last for 5-10 years or longer if it's taken care of properly,(i.e.Weekly wash,Monthly wax,etc.)?

Or,do I do it myself?I have no experience in body work,but my uncle is certified in auto-body.The only thing is,he doesn't really have a "paint-room".Of course,he does have the proper painting setup,he just lacks a dust-free area.He does have a shop though,so I figure that we could throw up some plastic and create a make-shift paint booth.

I just want to get it over with for a decent price.I don't really want to spend over $750,but I guess that I could mark it up to $1,000.That will make the truck look better and also have a better resale value if it ever comes down to that.

Any help on this is appreciated.If you've had any experience with Maaco or know anyone who has,let me know how it went.I know that none of you really approve of them,but if I can get a quality paint job,they'll work fine for me.

Thanks!!

Nightrain

See less See more
#78 ·
paint

When you said learn to paint it your self, that was my view on it. Not only will you probably save some money but you will learn something that most people are scared to death to try. Thats what I did. I'm an old man on pension, building a street rod and when it came time for the paint I realised I couldn't afford the 4-5-or 6000 dollars the painters wanted. Now before any painters here take offense I want say that I don't say that you are not worth it. I just couldn't afford it. So I did it myself. After much reading and picking the brains of talented people I tore into it. /The feeling of accomplishment and gratification is awesome. Plus the people that see it can't believe that a person that has never done this before could do it that good..Go for it and reap the benefits.....JMHO GlennK

#79 ·
Added to Hotrodders Knowledge Base

This discussion has been added to the Body - Exterior Discussions category of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base.

--For the main page of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For more information on the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For information on becoming a Hotrodders Knowledge Base Editor, click here.

#81 ·
Reality Check

I'm not trying to bust your bubble, or anything, for my own entertainment, but I am afraid I'll have to be the one to tell you the truth.
I don't care how much reading, or preparation you do, There aint no way the paint job will turn out to your satisfaction if you or your friend does it.
I had the same pipe dream :pimp: a long time ago when I painted my car with acrylic lacquer in my back yard after I thought I did plenty of research. But looking back at it now,I must have been smoking crystal meth or crack in that pipe :pimp: to think it was going to turn out like a show car-and that was with acrylic lacquer which could be sanded and buffed out easily. :eek:
It takes practice, practice, and a lot of ...practice to get the feel for it to lay out a smooth finish without :evil: runs :evil: , or :evil: orange peel :evil: .
KEEP US POSTED ON THE RESULT!
If I'm wrong, I'll eat my own words :pain: . :welcome:

#82 ·
Scrot, I have to tell you, I have seen MANY very nice paint jobs done by newbes. It usually takes them much longer but it can be done.

Besides Joe is talking about a chassis I don't think that is a pipe dream at all.

Joe, yes you can use a kerosene heater, just NOT while you are painting. Run the heater with your frame in there a good long time until the metal is up to 70 or so and then turn the heater off and shoot. After painting and the fumes have cleared out fire it up again to keep it warm a few hours.

By the way how do you plan on painting it?
I suggest an epoxy primer/sealer and then a SS urethane. The primer will be non-sanding. You just prime it, paint it and you are done.

Brian

#83 ·
Attitude

Scrot; It's the attitude you have that makes people second guess themselves. Just look at my avatar, I never did this before. There is the proof that you are wrong. It took me over a year to get it done but I did it and I'm damn proud of it. Quit throwing wet blankets and discouraging everyone that thinks they might be able to do it themselves....My 02 c.

#84 ·
Winter Paint

Thanks Brian....I'm using a Dupont Epoxy primer with a Dupon "Nason" Urethane top coat. Already put coat of primer on one side. Weather turned cold before I could get the chassis flipped....I'll take you up on your idea of pre-heating the garage.

As for the paint job so far, so good, no runs, no bubbles, no orange peel.....

#85 ·
Retired Super Trooper

OK, I guess I have add my 2 cents worth: I recently had my '51 Willy's Pick-up (check out my journal) painted by my local Maaco body shop. I am nothing but thrilled with the outcome of the job. There was really 2 big reasons why I had Maaco do the job. First, I don't have either the expertise or the facility to properly paint a vehicle. I did visit a couple of body shops in my area and asked them for an estimate to paint my vehicle. I should tell you, that I got the body work as smooth as my ability and tool supply would allow. Most of the bodyshops came in with prices that would rival the national debt. The Service Manager from Maaco came out to my house, we talked about what I would be using the truck for (fun truck - not afraid to drive it), what my budget was, what color and type of paint would be used, the amount of body work still needed, etc. We agreed on a price which was well within my budget for body and paint work. I was able to see what kind of work his shop produced and I was impressed with what I saw. I delivered the body, bed, fenders, etc to the Maaco shop and 3 weeks later, It was ready to come home. Once I got the vehicle reassembled and on the road, Jason (the Maaco S/M) told me to bring it back for final detailing and color sanding. Like I said, I was thrilled with the outcome. That does a number of things; gives Maaco good word of mouth advertising, and he'll receive my repeat business. While I may be the exception to the rule, hey, I'm satisfied.
:)

#86 ·
Listen To Glenkk!

Who give a damn if your first paint job isn't show quality. At least you'll have learned something and then next year you can sand that paint job and shoot it again. Also if you get a scratch it won't freak you at nearly as much, knowing that you can fix it yourself. People freak out when I tell them that I painted my truck, by my self, on my front lawn, without shelter of any kind. Oh, and another thing; Everyone who has dealt with body shops has gotten shoddy work done. Once they get your car, you are at their mercy.
DO IT YOURSELF and do this as you pass the rip-off, body shops

#87 ·
You bet.

Tab , you hit it on the head. I've learned to MIG Weld, spray primmer, put in filler and hundreds other things, all because I wanted to try. The next thing is to paint my vehicle and you know what I'm going to do my best and to me no matter what.. It will look like a million bucks because I did it.

:cool:

#89 ·
scot said:
I'm not trying to bust your bubble, or anything, for my own entertainment, but I am afraid I'll have to be the one to tell you the truth.
I don't care how much reading, or preparation you do, There aint no way the paint job will turn out to your satisfaction if you or your friend does it.
I had the same pipe dream :pimp: a long time ago when I painted my car with acrylic lacquer in my back yard after I thought I did plenty of research. But looking back at it now,I must have been smoking crystal meth or crack in that pipe :pimp: to think it was going to turn out like a show car-and that was with acrylic lacquer which could be sanded and buffed out easily. :eek:
It takes practice, practice, and a lot of ...practice to get the feel for it to lay out a smooth finish without :evil: runs :evil: , or :evil: orange peel :evil: .
KEEP US POSTED ON THE RESULT!
If I'm wrong, I'll eat my own words :pain: . :welcome:

you're wrong...perhaps YOU didn't get the results you envisioned but that doesn't mean everyone works like you...search & take a look at my 1st time experience, done with a cheap HF gun, in a barn

#91 ·
maaco versus painting at home

I have been painting for years and with todays paints and additives you need a good paint booth''' my buddy just died of cancer the doctor said it was from all the years of painting cars and breathing the fumes''' years ago lacquer paint was the big thing drink a few beers after you got done and that cleared out your lungs ''' ya right''' anyway with todays 2 and 3 part paints you are better off haveing it painted by a good body shop''' i still paint but i do it at a buddys body shop on a sunday when the shop is closed and i use his spraybooth''''' were i live if a neighbor call's the police on you for painting in your garage you can be fined $1500.00 for a first offence and up to $15,000 there after''' dont get me wrong i still do a little painting in my garage a fender or hood but not a whole car''' if you prep your car yourself wet sand and fether edge it'' and take it to maaco as i have done for a few friends in the last few years the only problem we have had with them is a few runs that we sanded out and buffed''' lets face it not everyone has the money or the talent to do a good paint job'''

#92 ·
spray booth

Kent: So what you're telling me is that if we don't have a buddy with a spraybooth we shouldn't try to do it our selves..Wow You and Scrot should get together. I am sure glad that I didn't get my info from you before I painted my coupe. I may have not ever tried it....Yeah Right.....GlennK

#93 ·
Would be nice having access to a good booth with good airflow, would be safer. I have painted in garages for years and am still here, but not sure how many years I cut off my life with only a charcoal respirator and overspray fog getting pretty thick. They never mentioned iso's much when the activated urethane products were coming out. Always seen articles in the magazines not showing them wearing proper protection either. I've met a few painters who know longer can go near them being sensisized, and a bosses father was close to death with a messed up nervous system, and think the majority of his painting was with lacquers and enamels which aren't suppose to be as bad. A painter died at an industrial painting place just before I was hired. He was only 50 and they said heartattach, but heard rumors from a few people it was likely caused by the years he spent painting there. Not saying you shouldn't paint at home, a lot of people do, but don't be stupid and not use any protection, and also cover skin and eyes. I am guilty of not always following that advice. No open flames anywhere near where you are painting. It is also illegal to paint in most residential areas, but you usually won't have a problem if you don't make a lot of noise, get along with neighbors, or have a ton of cars lined up and people coming and going all the time. Or live in the sticks. Just make sure you know all this before you head out to the garage if you were not aware when you are ready to begin the journey.

#94 ·
That's good advice Ken.

Ken,
That's great advice. While I'm nearing paint time I originally decided to see about building a painting booth.While I would like to say it's because of the bad stuff floating in the paint the real reason is due to the amount of prep work I've put into the vehicle. I mean I've created more weld pieces, smoothed out more areas and smoothed out more filler than I could have ever dreamed of. So I want to give my paint job the best possible chance it has. Having said that, I figure my cost for a good home booth to be around 250 not really including spray suit and other incidentals. Realistically I figure I'm going to spend about 350 after that's said and done. The other real reason is my garage is a double but I'm more concerned about what I'm exposing my family to. I figure I will rent some time in a booth get a great haze of paint going and see what happens. But I got to admit it would look cool, something like a cheech and chong movie when that cloud of smoke would come rolling out of my garage.

:pimp:

#95 ·
How is your filler work progressing anyways SA? Are getting the hang of it now and down pat? If you can find a booth for rent at a fair price, that may be a good idea. The better ones have very good lighting and airflow, and if down draft it will pull the fumes down away from you and lessen the chance of dirt because it will pull it down away from the car instead of across like a crossflow airflow. The problem is nowadays its kinda hard to rent a booth in most areas unless you know someone, high insurance and liability risk. I remember a time when a lot of places rented out booths, at least in larger citys one could be found.

#96 ·
Getting used to the flow of filler.

Hey Ken,
Yeah, I'm finally learning how much and how neat to put on the filler. It's funny just like when I was learning to butt weld patch pieces, I was globing on the weld and not learning to get short tacks in man there was alot of grind down. But I'm getting there. I was wondering on the underside of the truck there is this grayish paint which is rough to the hand what kind of paint is that? anyway. I'm getting really good at it and learning how to apply and re-apply. You know I bet your right about the paint booth thing. Here in SA I'm may run into that problem. Hmm.

#97 ·
maaco versus at home paint'''

hey guys sorry i didn't mean to open a can of worms about my veiws on painting''' i still love to paint''' i just wanted to put it out there to some of the younger guys about the hazzards'''' of being sure that you were the proper resperator's and clothing when you paint with todays paint''' i was not trying to discourage anyone about trying to paint there on car besides being cheaper''' its the satisfaction you get in the finished product''' but also that you did it yourself'''' with that said i am going to paint flames on my 47 chevy in my one car garage as soon as it warms up'' i am using water colors paint at home and then i am going to shoot the clear at my buddys shop''' the reason i get to use his spraybooth''' is i give him a hand at his shop when he needs it''' ps. please read the labels before you start''' :pimp:

#98 ·
Welding has always been one of my weak spots SA, but have gotten a bit better. I still hate welding even though I have to do it. I would never want to be a welder for a living though. There could be a coating of gravel guard under the paint. Are you talking about a texturized surface on the bottooms of the doors and rockers? No idea, or maybe the paint was sprayed dry and rough under there or overspray from the body. If it is undercoating, then it would smear and make a mess if trying to sand. Could even be bedliner or spatter paint. Who knows, is it factory or did someone work on it before. Maybe take a pic and start a new topic, maybe someone can help identify what it is.

#100 ·
#101 ·
learning how to paint

if you need product sheets i can mail them to you.i am a sales rep and field tech for a local ppg jobber in phx ,az.
you are going about it the right way,but i would recommend different products.
a gallon of base coat is going to give you 2 gallons of sprayable material.

ppg-dbc base coat
ppg-dcu2021 clear is probably the best and easiest clear to use
ppg-dcx61 is the clear activator
ppg-dt 860,870,885,895 are the reducers
be sure you use the appropriate reducer according to shop temp.
this reducer is used in both the base and the clearcoat
your base coat is reduced 1:1 with the dt reducers
apply 2-3 coats or until you achive coverage
dcu 2021 mix ratio: 4:1:1
thats 4 parts clear 1 part dcx61 activator and 1 part dt reducer
spray 2-3 coats wet on wet
leave your first coat looking like you want your last coat to look.

ppg-omni base coat
ppg-omni mr 185,186,187 are the reducers for the basecoat only
ppg-omni mc161 clear is also a good clear
ppg-omni mh 167,168 clear activator
your base coat is reduced 1:1 with mr reducers
apply 2-3 coats or until you achive coverage
mc 161 clear mix ratio is 2:1 with appropriate activator
mh 167 being fast activator and mh168 being slow
you can blend equal amount of each activator to make mid temp activator
spray 2-3 coats wet on wet
leave your first coat looking like you want your last

just a few notes to see if it would help

nightrain_rod said:
Yes sir,I'm ready to paint :D .

I just printed some product sheets,and I found the primer that I think that I'll get.It's PPG's DZL Primer Surfacer.I looked at the product sheets on it and also the sheets on the DAR that you gave me and they're compatible with each other.Now I just have to find some clear.

PPG doesn't have any product sheets on their clears at their website.I think that I'll go with that 2020 Concept that you reccomended.Will that work for my application?If the primer isn't expensive,I think that I'll just get Robert to shoot a coat on the Ranger before he applies the first coat of paint just to insure that it will bond correctly.It's better to be safe than sorry.So,if I go that route,just rough up the original paint,spray the primer,paint,clear,and go.Is that right?Do I still need to have a sealer shot between the sanding and the primer?

What do you use to clean up the vehicle's body after you finish sanding?What grit do you reccomend most to sand the original paint,and wet or dry?He'll know what to do on those dents.I'm not going to get into those lol.Yes,this seems to be time consuming work,but hey,it's something that gets me going.Plus,your ride looks alot better when you finish.What do you use to dry your vehicles when you finish washing them?

Before I started this thread,my knowledge on painting a vehicle was limited,but with the help of you and the other members that cared to drop in and post some advice really helped.Of course,I'm still going to let Robert do this job.He just might have a partner hanging around though :D .

Nightrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.