Mac compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 06:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mac compressor

Anybody have any experience with Mac compressors. I'm assuming they're rebadged.
I'm looking at the single stage around 60 gal. Trying to stay under a $1000 is the reason for choosing the single stage. And I don't mind the noise.
Mainly going to be used for sanders and painting.

Thanks. Ben

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

What is the CFM rating on the one you are looking at? This is the most important thing to consider (besides overall quality) when deciding if a compressor will do the job for you.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 PM

I'm looking at this one.
http://www.mactools.com/Mac/Mac+Prod...essors/ACP660V

I can't find any specs on it. I'll ask the Mac guy when he comes by the shop.
Do you know who makes this compressor.

Thanks. Ben
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

They sure don't tell you much about that thing do they? Can't tell from that pic exactly who makes it but I can venture a couple of guesses about the performance, I am thinking that power rating is a "peak" HP rating because 6 HP is a rather odd power rating (odd for an actual rating but VERY common for a "peak" rating) for 220 volts and I will bet when you ask him what the AMP rating is (this is important be SURE and ask) it will be 15 AMPs making this motor about 3 to 3 1/2 HP instead of that phony "peak" rating. That and the fact it is single stage will put it in the 10 to12 CFM range at 90 PSI. This is going to marginal for sanding and painting especially if you are using a HVLP paint gun. A DA sander will need about 15 CFM to operate without a lot of waiting for air build-up and some of the cheaper Harbor Freight variety will need even more than that. What is the price for that outfit? A comparable compressor like a Husky can be found for about $400 to $500 and sometimes cheaper when on sale which is often the case so I would not pay a lot for the MAC logo especially if they are trying to pull a fast one with that power rating and I am willing to bet they are, check that Amperage I bet it is 15 AMPs and a REAL 6 HP motor would be closer to 30 AMPs.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 PM

I found a little more info from the Mac catalog.
6hp, 12.35 ACFM, 130psi Max pressure
I'm running Iwata guns that need a little under 10 CFM. The compressor should cover that. But sanders like you said I'd probably need to wait.

Are those Husky compressors any good? Who makes those?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:48 AM

Last photo:

I am sure you will get some input from some of the guys here who have a Husky compressor and I just used it as one example of the "home shop" type compressors but they are quite popular and the guys here who use them seem to like them ok. Sometimes an outfit like MAC will have an "econo" model built by one of the manufacturers for them instead of just rebadging an existing model that will be somewhat different but the basic motor and pump will be the same, mostly imported parts. The problem with buying an economy compressor from one of the big tool companies is that you usually pay extra for the name when the same basic outfit could be bought a lot cheaper from one of the home stores like Lowes or Home depot. Tractor Supply or Northern Tool have good prices on the type of compressor you are looking at and even Harbor Freight has Puma compressors which are on sale at really good prices often, I normally would not even consider HF for something like a compressor but the Puma does have a decent reputation.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 AM

School bills came up and I ended up getting a used 7hp 60gal. Husky. It puts out enough CFM for my guns so it's good enough for now. The reason I was asking about the Mac compressor is I get half off the price because of school.
Thanks for the help Oldred.

Ben

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.